Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory - Great Career Move | Glassdoor

Employee Review

"Great Career Move"

Current Employee - Nuclear Facility Manager in Livermore, CA
Current Employee - Nuclear Facility Manager in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation, benefits, 401k matching, and work/life balance. Most importantly, LLNL is a leader in many advance technologies and the work directly impacts the safety of our country.

Cons

Being a government contractor does mean there is a lot of red tape. Coming from another DOE contract laboratory, that is to be expected when you are dealing with the government.
Commute traffic in California Bay Area can be really bad, but supervision at LLNL will work with you to find what work hours works best for you and your commute (within reason) and are understanding if you are late due to an accident on the interstate.
Additionally, housing prices in the Bay Area are very high. Overall the pros far outweigh the cons.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Jan 29, 2018 – Employee Relations Program Leader

Thank you for your review. LLNL has a very competitive benefits package and values work/life balance.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"NIF NOT THE PLACE TO WORK AS ADMIN"

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Some good managers. Somewhat of a work life balance. Most areas in lab are OK.

Cons

NIF turnover rate for admins high and No training plan for admins. Most NIF Administrators are inexperienced and lack decision making skills. NIF Admins are overworked and underpaid with NO growth opportunity. Most admins cant telecommute.

The current NIF administrators DO NOT have any care or empathy for their staff. People are often targeted and forced to leave because of the horrible work environment.

Advice to Management

NIF ADMINISTRATIVE DEPARTMENT IS A MESS! Senior Managers need to pay attention and put a STOP to the toxic environment!

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Mar 5, 2018 – Public Information Officer

I apologize that you have had a negative experience with us at NIF. If you are still working with us, I’d like to meet to hear what issues we can work on improving to make NIF&PS a better place for... More

2. "LLNL experience"

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Working on R&D for national needs

Cons

Big organization with substantial bureaucracy

Discover more reviews about Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.