Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory - Engaging Work for a Purpose | Glassdoor
Pros
  • "Work life balance is the biggest advantage" (in 113 reviews)

• "I see the lab working hard to be a great place to work, which it is" (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "Being a government contractor does mean there is a lot of red tape" (in 40 reviews)

• "Of course, the cost of living in the Bay Area makes the 'good' salaries not reach as far" (in 16 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Engaging Work for a Purpose"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I want to feel like my work is for a higher purpose - and that's what I've found working at LLNL. I believe in the mission, the vision and the values. The people I work with have the same passion about their work and we have fun. When someone asks where I work, I'm proud to say I work at the Lab.

Cons

Working for the government is not for everyone. There is red tape and bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Transparent leadership is the key to fostering a culture of trust.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Sep 12, 2018 – Recruiting Group Leader

Thank you for your review of the Lab. We are proud of the Lab's mission, vision and values and we're glad you're proud to work for LLNL!

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "I've begun to doubt it was even worth it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Pros

Able to support myself with a mid range salary. Longevity, health, dental, & vision insurance.

Cons

Can't get a raise, I've worked hard, researching, training, implementing new processes, only to be looked over and passed by for any type of promotion. I've been sexually harassed, witnessed by my department head, only to be told it didn't happen when I finally went to him with a complaint. Pay raises have averaged .50 over the last 15 years. Told I'd be promoted far too many times, by managers who seemingly lied because I've been stagnate in the same classification for 20 years. I've begun to believe my dedication has not been worth the sacrifices made. In the beginning I felt a sense of pride working here, now I have come to the conclusion that I would have been better off working in my home town for less money, because the balance between time away from home and compensation is far lacking. It was good in the beginning but the economy has caught up to my salary, and it's just not enough.

Advice to Management

Don't tell your employees what they can do to get a promotion if you're not going to follow through.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Response

Sep 28, 2018 – Recruiting Group Leader

The Lab is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free from harassment and will not tolerate harassment of employees or applicants by anyone. If you have a complaint, there are a number... More

2. "Group Leader IT related functions"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Livermore, CA

Pros

Cooperative and dedicated staff in support the nation's security and innovation needs. An overwhelming amount of the staff is dedicated to the Laboratory's missions and not to the how to make more money for share holders or management. Good opportunities for continuous training and self improvement. Safe and secure environment for long term employment.

Cons

Lack of upward mobility. Most technical talented employees end up leaving the lab for other high tech positions in the area.

Advice to Management

High tech for profit firms are taking your trained staff. The lab needs to compete with better career choices and work life balance. Less bureaucracy, more results.

Discover more reviews about Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.