Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory - Intern | Glassdoor

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Livermore, CA
Former Employee - Intern in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was the best research experience for cyber-security and computer science majors. They help with many resources and encourage you to be the best of the best. In the end the combination of experience and knowledge acquired, will help you get into a full time job without any problem.

Cons

Housing is not the best
Taxes are really high in California
If you are a completely active person you may need to relax a little bit
Changes to project and deadlines happen so fast

Other Employee Reviews for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

"Lots of opportunity, great work life balance, amazing coworkers."

Former Intern - Administrative Support in Livermore, CA
    Former Intern - Administrative Support in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as an intern during my summer breaks at LLNL and had a great time. There are TONS of opportunities for interns, and you can really learn an amazing amount just in one summer. The staff who take on interns for the summer are over all very supportive and friendly. I always felt like I could go to my adviser if I had any questions about my work.

Cons

As with most DOE/government funded institutions, funding is key. Stress level of the management is clear when times are tough, and it is a constant worry for the individuals who do not procure the funding. People tend to get shifted around often, especially in administration. Admins are the first to be let go and are often over worked with mandatory over time, but I do not know that it is any more frequent than outside companies. However, through all the shifting, LLNL is more likely to move you to a different department than to hire someone new since it's less time and money to train a new individual and to have their background cleared.

Advice to Management

Be more clear with with all employees about job security.

"Returned to LLNL after working outside government."

Current Employee - Computation in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Computation in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Multiple programs allow specialist to move from one project to another without changing employer. Mission space of National Security is inspiring and relevant. Demographic of current employees means that new hires will have great opportunities to advance as the aging workforce retires.

Cons

Conservative corporate culture which is slow to change.

Advice to Management

Increase training budget, provide early career employees leadership opportunities, encourage middle level mangers to change or move aside.