Layer - More opportunity than I've ever seen, coupled with an incredibly capable team | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Layer

"More opportunity than I've ever seen, coupled with an incredibly capable team"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Layer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Layer has an amazing idea - power the communications in every mobile and web service. Everyone who hears the idea - customers, in particular - agrees and demand is off the charts. Then there's the team. I've never seen such phenomenal talent together on one team. It's early innings for this company, but the opportunity is massive.

Cons

Honestly and truly, this company is great. The team is aligned toward a common goal. There are no apparent cons.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the opportunity in front of us. If we keep executing the way we have been, the sky's the limit.

Other Employee Reviews for Layer

"Like a second family"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Layer full-time

Pros

In my past I had a chance to work at big companies, small ones, well established companies and start-ups — either the teams were too big and cumbersome, ruined by bureaucracy, or too small and naive to make a dent in the industry. I was just trying to find the sweet-spot and I think I found it at Layer. In my career I've never grown so fast as I did here. I have the chance to work and help invent great technologies and an opportunity to grow. It's where I always have a chance to be heard and make an impact — everything that was difficult to achieve in my previous employments. The product we're building keeps getting better and better, and it's so satisfying seeing the numbers grow as we deliver. Team is practically like a second family which has a nice mixture of introverts and extroverts, funny and intelligent people that I can always look up to. I don't think I'd want to be anywhere else.

Cons

There are a lot of other start-ups that share their well instituted business model. With Layer the territory we're in is relatively new, which makes it the kind of a company that has to make its own mistakes to learn and grow — which is sometimes scary, but exciting.

Advice to Management

Keep the transparency going. But more importantly, make sure people are satisfied with their positions, ask until you get an honest answer, otherwise you're doing a terrible job.

"Build something big"

I have been working at Layer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A legit business idea with insane potential. No shortage of technical challenges (if you don't see this as a "pro" then work elsewhere), all solvable. Incredibly smart & talented team. A "use the right tool for the job" mentality.

Cons

You can't build this overnight, and this work is not for the weary. Do it because you love it. This is not a 9-to-5 situation.