LeapFrog - Too much drama; too much of "an old boys club | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for LeapFrog

"Too much drama; too much of "an old boys club"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Emeryville, CA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- products are fantastic and are impactful. My children have benefitted from these first hand.
- people are generally positive and aligned with the mission.
- employee benefits are improving, though still trail the competitve set by a long way.
- consistency & outside trust. We have beat the street for several quarters, largely attributed to our solid forecast process.

Cons

- Senior management. The CEO initially re-energized the company when he came in nearly 2 years ago, but the masses are becoming tired with the rhetoric. Morale spikes a bit during the monthly company meetings, but shortly thereafter we realize the meeting was glitz, with little back-up.

- Turnover continues to be very high. We have lost some exceptional people lately. Things haven't really changed from the days of people disappearing in the night.

- As a company we continue to be exceptionally weak at planning ahead. The company continues to turn in good results, but these are largely a result of products designed well before the CEO joined. The real test is going to be whether we can sustain this pace 18 months from now.

- The disparity in pay, especially for some of the recently hired Senior Managers. These are available on the SEC filings (look for the one's titled 8-K). It is amazing how much stock and bonuses that are handed out and guaranteed when the rest of us doing the work are dependent on results.

- Bench Strength. Across the board there are some very talented people within the organization, but once you get deeper into organization the bench strength is fairly thin.

- Business Systems and most other processes are weak. At a company meeting in January this was discussed but even now that we are 3/4 through the year there is little progress to show.

- Rather than becoming part of the solution, the HR business partners spend time in my organization asking team members to pile on with how had things really are.

Advice to Management

- Hire based on qualifications, not personal relationships. This is true for both fulltime employees and consultants. We continue to bleed money paying way above market for friends of JB. One more of these and there will be several people who will leave.

- Develop cohesiveness across the Management team. The CEOs style is to have discussions 1:1 with his directs rather then of driving cross team alignment.

- The Board needs to get their hands on the wheel...once you start digging there are chinks in the armour everywhere.

Other Employee Reviews for LeapFrog

1. "A company with heart"

Former Employee - Associate Producer in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Producer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at LeapFrog full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dedicated, talented people working hard
    The products work, children benefit from them and enjoy them
    All teams are highly cross-functional, you'll get to understand a lot about how other people do their job.
    Pleasant work environment with a supportive culture.
    Bay Area location

Cons

Lots of layoffs have led to a somewhat depressed culture only now bouncing back
    Typical disconnect between upper level and lower.

Advice to Management

People are getting overworkerd. Hire more low-level people.
    Spend more on R&D
    FIgure out a robust web structure that is a place for moms as well as kids

"Now is a great time to be part of LeapFrog!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at LeapFrog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined LeapFrog hopeful, but skeptical. I heard stories about poor leadership and moral. These days, I'm thinking I got lucky and I'm grateful and happy to be working at such a terrific company with talented and fun people. LeapFrog is the best place I have ever worked (in my 20 plus year career). I think some of the negative reviews are from years past or from people who do not know what a bad culture is.

I am inspired by so many things at LeapFrog. The engaging, personable and inspirational CEO. He is making a huge difference, hiring the right leaders and driving us in the right direction. I'm truly inspired and motivated by him. I get a lot of what he communicates because I've been in several companies where we were in "turnaound", a difficult job for any CEO. I've witnessed bad leadership and poor cultures at companies that have equally wonderful people and great products.

The HR team is really great at LeapFrog. They are all highly intelligent and engaging people who seem to really care about the people and culture.

There are many very creative teams that produce truly beautiful products. Most everyone, present or past, who has worked at LeapFrog says they are product of the products and the mission to be the number one children's learning entertainment company.

I've never worked for a company that has such a large team of diverse, intelligent, inspiring, talented and nice people. It is a joy to come to work. The work environment is bright and cheery. People treat each other with respect. You walk around and people smile and say hello. The place is friendly and there is a lot of laughter. The company meetings are fun. There is tremendous opportunity for those with a positive and team oriented spirit.

The compensation is fair and the benefits are good, and getting better. They match your 401K. The have stock purchase. We work hard, but we have a fair amount of time off. We shut down for two weeks during the holiday. Paid holiday shutdown so you can enjoy your holiday and family. In the summer, we have summer Friday's where you can leave at 2pm. The Friday before a holiday we have a Leap day and can leave at noon.

I find that most people are responsible and work hard to contribute to the teams success. They have a very nicely executed Christmas party and a summer BBQ for the employees. I've been very impressed with the dedication of most of the employees.

Cons

We do work extremely hard, but there is flexibility when you need it and no one is unreasonable with expectations.

Processes in several key areas are not what they should be so this is an extra effort. Still, I enjoy the collaboration and a chance to take part in building the company we all want to work for.

Strategic planning is not starting soon enough in some areas so the timelines for execution are too short and this puts us at risk from a time to market pov. This seems to be recognized so hopefully it will improve.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Stay focused on what we've discussed as our strategic initiatives. Invest in infrastructure, but take the time to do it in a smart way so the processes and systems will last.