LegalZoom - Success begets success | Glassdoor

"Success begets success"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at LegalZoom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a growing company, adding new people on almost every few weeks (at least they were when I worked there). As such, the opportunity to move up occurs quickly. Management will ask for extra time or maybe have you sit through lunch during a busy period, but it's usually not mandatory and they will feed you lunch in lieu of you not taking the time off. I've worked customer service before and seen the wrong way of doing things, but LegalZoom definitely does it right.

Cons

There were some issues with HR not being very accommodating to simple requests. The HR department also sponsored a weight loss competition and then refused to try to enter into any deals with a nearby gym. I found that kind of weird.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting the good fight and treating the employees well. The holiday parties were always a blast: your genuine interest in the employees shows and is appreciated.

Other Employee Reviews for LegalZoom

"Good people but not much loyalty"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at LegalZoom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My team was great and I miss working with many of the folks in different departments. My boss was an intelligent and admirable guy, and through him, I learned a lot about the business. There are some very talented and genuinely nice people spread throughout the company who are willing to help you if you ask.

I enjoyed going to work everyday, and I was proud of what the company was trying to do in the legal industry. Like any corporate entity, there are brilliant minds, miserable jerks, and sea of faces you'll never meet. If you're lucky to work for one of the good managers, they'll help guide you through it.

The compensation and benefits were ample and HR was always easy to work with if any issues arose.

Cons

Similar to another post on this site, I was also laid off without warning earlier this year, hence the low rating. Admittedly, I too bought into the "people matter" mantra so I was blindsided by the unexpected betrayal of my loyalty. This was the place I felt was least likely to leave me twisting in the wind. But, such is corporate life.

Obviously, being laid off leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, so I cannot recommend working at Legalzoom specifically because their leadership isn't trustworthy. I will never know if what I was told was the truth or just another executive talking point, so work there at your own peril. At the very least, you'll get some good experience and meet some great people.

Advice to Management

A sizable staff reduction really signals that management failed to do its job in the good times. It's unfortunate your poor decision making only devastates the people who had no part in it.

"If you're looking for a career and/or any kind of personal & professional development, DO NOT APPLY"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Austin, TX

I worked at LegalZoom as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro I can think of is most of the people that work there. They're younger and/or have been there for a while, and nearly all of them see the insanity for what it is, and have a great sense of humor as a result. If you can't cry, laugh, right?

Cons

I don't know where to start.. but I'll keep it brief/bullet style. Here goes:
    - They have a deal with a local temp agency to get candidates in for interviews, etc. As mentioned in other posts, massive waves of people come through on a consistent basis. They sort, seed through those who they deem can hit the ground running/have a "yes sir" attitude and the rest are gone within days or not even shown the door a 2nd time. I refer to them-still-as a puppy mill. They produce "Zoomers" at a high rate; quantity, not quality.

- Management lacks experience and/or actual leadership training. I have worked with inters who have more common sense and ability to troubleshoot than most of the folks who had been in "leadership" training.

- Training is insane-they *think* they have it down to an art, but they don't. Trainers/managers are under the gun to get you to learn everything perfectly and NOW, and thus, the those being trained are under said gun. Slideshows and books don't do it--actual leadership and guidance being invested into employees do it.

-The actual work: glorified data entry. *shudder*

Advice to Management

Hire actual managers.
    Work on employee retention.
    Work on actual performance and develop plans for your employees
    Diversify your software and systems; make day to day work an actual challenge, and not something that makes flipping an egg look like science. You want smart great people? Prove it. Implement It.