Lehman Brothers - Lehman: Don't bother | Glassdoor

"Lehman: Don't bother"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

While it existed, they did pay every 2 weeks, and they kept me employed for 13 years.

Cons

Lots of compensation was made in company stock which became worthless at bankruptcy. Yearly bonuses that were used as basis for "total compensation" included restricted stock which was values at grant price giving the false impression that we actually made more money than we did.

Advice to Management

Don't gamble my career away.

Other Employee Reviews for Lehman Brothers

1. "Lehman: a business ruined by management incompetence."

Former Employee - Project Manager IT in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager IT in New York, NY

Pros

That's a good question. Since the company has filed for bankruptcy.
    The used to build a lot of in house systems in the 90s but then the outsourcing trend championed by unsavory characters
    has taken it's toll.
    Now all their in house systems are a jumble of spaghetti code that might as well be written in sanscrit. No wonder Fuld never new for sure what his risks were..

Cons

Enough said. Too many things to list. A lot of people who have surpassed their level of incompetence driving few who are actually doing the work.

Advice to Management

Hmm... let's see....how about get a life ?

2. "Life at Lehman"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

There is excellent pay, great access to different types of people. I've learned quite a bit. You are exposed to different areas supporting sales and trading, and get to interface with various areas of the company. I've learned a bunch in terms of technology, the finance behind what im working on, and the math and economics that drives all of it. I would however like to learn more in more depth.

However you know what happened, so its not like management is perfect and doesn't make mistakes. Down goes my stock, savings, etc. What were they thinking? didn't they see it coming?

Cons

There is excellent pay, great access to different types of people. You are exposed to different areas supporting sales and trading, and get to interface with various areas of the company. I've learned a bunch in terms of technology, the finance behind what im working on, and the math and economics that drives all of it. I would however like to learn more in more depth. Also, its tough to move into the business side from IT, and for some reason they want some sort of degree for it.

Advice to Management

It would also be helpful if they made more opportunities for mobility within the company. Because if thats not possible, I have no choice but to look elsewhere.