Lehman Brothers - Best place I ever worked. I'm heartbroken that it's over. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lehman Brothers

"Best place I ever worked. I'm heartbroken that it's over."

Former Employee - Vice President Technology
Former Employee - Vice President Technology

Pros

The culture was great. They hired the best and the brightest, and I worked with some of the most talented engineers and managers that I ever encountered. We were encouraged to take an entrepreneurial approach to our work in IT, and were rewarded for it when the system or app generated revenue or furthered the business' objectives.

There was great opportunity to network thru several diversity groups. Training and education was encouraged and readily available. They fully supported work-life balance and work from home (job - permitting, of course).

The work was hard, the hours were long, and the rewards were great. At the end of a day, I left the office exhausted and proud of what my team accomplished. It was the best 10 years of my working career. I met and worked with some remarkable individuals and established professional and personal friendships with people I will treasure, always.

Cons

Biggest downside: The bankruptcy. It is incredibly sad. Barclays should have been a silver lining, but sadly, the great things about Lehman and it's culture did not carry over after the acquisition.

Advice to Management

I'm with you in wishing the clock could be stopped or rolled back to before the collapse. I wish it could have gone on forever.

Other Employee Reviews for Lehman Brothers

1. "A great place to work, period."

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

Pros

They are no longer around but I am sure Barclays will be the same way. Great pay, communication and training programs. Tons of perks and a highly well run company, very professional. Everything had its own "Lehmanized" feeling to it. The background check was highly thorough and extensive. The training was highly helpful and learning the material was fairly easy thanks to great teachers. Overall, the company was willing to work with you over hours and other accommodations, but highly frowned upon bad decision making.

Cons

They closed, so no opportunity for growth. They also did not offer me any benefits, but I believe there benefit programs are usually top notch

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work but perhaps be a little better at communicating

2. "Good company for starters. Will enjoy the exposure and knowledge sharing culture."

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President

Pros

It was a great place to start my career in Wall street. Lots of opportunities for self motivated people. The place gave good exposure and knowledge sharing opportunities for its employees. Being a smallish company in extra ordinarily tough times, it had its share of challenges..

Cons

IT dept is not sufficiently resources/funded.

Advice to Management

Improve communication.