Leidos - Excellent support to employee development | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Leidos

"Excellent support to employee development"

Former Employee - Principal Usability Engineer in Columbia, MD
Former Employee - Principal Usability Engineer in Columbia, MD

I worked at Leidos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I received raises each of 3 years employment. My management listened to my ideas to help grow SAIC (at it was called at the time), and even invested in packaged materials so I could present concepts on "usability" during brown bag sessions.

Cons

When the business group to which I belong was merged with another business group, some of the sizzle and warm co-operation faded. Seemed that budgets were tightened and attitudes were configured to be more "walk the straight and narrow". The sequestration of Spring 2013 saw the loss of well qualified employees whose billing rate was higher than the average. One would hope that a replacement position could have been offered, but such was not the case. On the other hand, business is business....

Advice to Management

What management might call "tightening up", employees might call "getting too hide-bound and stultifying". Perceptions count. Of course, leadership style may differ across the business units.

Other Employee Reviews for Leidos

"Could be great, if they put their minds to it"

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Leidos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have tons of contracts and they're bringing in more every day. So, in theory, there are lots of opportunities with the company. They're not totally reliant on defense spending, so layoffs shouldn't be quite as big a concern.

There are also some really bright people working in the middle ranks. My team lead is the best supervisor I've ever had. Unfortunately, management leaves him flapping in the breeze regularly.

Most of their benefits stink, but they do have a great commute incentive program in D.C. If you work anywhere along metro, you can get up to $120 of metrofare reimbursed monthly for using metro instead of driving to work.

Cons

Benefits. I had to give them a 3 on work-life balance because while your day is over when you leave the office, their leave policy is pathetic. Ten days to start out. And don't let them convince you with the schtick about having two floating holidays, because they only give you seven of the 10 federal holidays, so if you work on a client site, you'll have to burn both floating holidays plus a vacation day on President's Day, Columbus Day and Veteran's Day.

They only offer high-deductible health plans, under the guise that your premium is lower. Sure you pay less each paycheck, but if you have so much as one visit to the urgent care clinic because of the flu, you're going to be on the hook for THE ENTIRE cost.

Finally, if you work in the National Capital Region (NCR), make sure you have them right the EXACT location to which you'll be assigned written on the offer letter. Don't let them get away with using vague locations like NCR, because they'll use that against you. The NCR covers as far south as Fort Belvoir, and as far north as Fort Meade, so if they have your work location listed as NCR, they can move you ANYWHERE within that area, regardless of where you live with no notice. You will not be able to fight it.

Advice to Management

Stop shorting your employees to boost your revenues for shareholders. Provide better benefits and you'll find that employees will take less salary because of great benefits. This company could be great. It's crazy to see how much happier my friends are at the SAIC spin-off.

"painful after found out true colors"

Former Employee - GEOINT Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - GEOINT Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Leidos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pay rapidly rose after being hired. reasonable training offered after a while. seemed to be a lot of opportunities after looking around worldwide.

Cons

inefficient money hungry soulless contract chasing minions. If you are at all proud of your work or like working with cutting edge technology, do not work here. It will be interesting to see what branch of the government they try to suck dry next after their defense contracts get axed.

Advice to Management

Just because an employee was ex-military does not automatically make them more knowledgeable then civilians with degrees.