Leidos - Small business opportunities | Glassdoor

"Small business opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Leidos full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Leidos is a big company so the experience will vary, but what I have experienced (even when it was SAIC) is that Leidos (on the government side) could be like a collection of small companies. If you are able to foster a good relationship with your customer and gain respect and a good reputation with your customer and domain, you may have the opportunity to grow more business on your own with corporate backing.

Cons

Corporate perks such as the holiday/winter party, summer party, bonuses, .etc. have been cut due to cost cutting.

Other Employee Reviews for Leidos

"16 Years - Good and Bad. Would loved to have stayed. Beware of loosing coverage...."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Leidos full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I marginally recommend working for SAIC/Leidos but beware of lost contracts, loosing coverage and being laid-off!!! The original "Beyster" corporate culture, "sense of family" and ethical behaviors were the best attracting features. Compensation always seemed to follow productivity and quality. The people above and blow the chain-of-command were mostly outstanding. I walk away with a company-paid-for college degrees and certificates.

Cons

Sadly there did not seem to be much motivation to retain a 16-year employee at the spin-off but such are the inherent risks with "contract work". Contract work is not for the faint-hearted. When the coverage ends, expect to be laid-off. Did not seem that much was being done to find me coverage. I would have hoped for some more loyalty and effort to assist me in my efforts to coverage but obviously it did not happen. Only 4 weeks allowed for being on the bench before the laid-off. No severance and limited/simplistic career transition support.

Advice to Management

Retaining top performers should be a higher priority. Decreased benefits dramatically increased out-of-pocket costs. If you are not in DC, then career opportunities are very limited. Increase the work/contract pipeline outside of the DC area.

"Employees are great, pay and benefits, not so much."

Current Employee - Contractor in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Contractor in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Leidos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company allows me to do my job on base with few problems. I receive support from my supervisor when it's needed.

Cons

I understand the company to be struggling a bit but keeping pay and benefits down for people charging to contracts is a bad business model. People who are happy jump on opportunities they hear about in Government facilities and try and bring in people they know to fill Government needs through their own company. People who feel their benefits and pay aren't up to par don't go out of their way to do this. As a contract employee over some years, I see this sort of thing happening all the time. Growing, successful companies are those that keep their workers happy. Healthcare was lessened, 401k match lowered, long term disability dumped, raises kept low, and top leadership is bailing out. As an employee, this makes me concerned for the company's long term prospects.

Advice to Management

Fix the health insurance, it's poor. Watch for large disparities between pay rates and billing rates. Make that too large and people will leave. They know the score. Other companies can do the work and often the Government doesn't care at all about a few dollars "saved" in billing rates. The long term strategy of keeping employees happy beats the short term strategy of minimizing pay and benefits.