LensCrafters - a great field to work in but corporate has no clue | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for LensCrafters

"a great field to work in but corporate has no clue"

Current Employee - Retail Manager
Current Employee - Retail Manager

Pros

good wages
excellent training
no extended hours of operation during holidays

Cons

corporate has high demands
unreasonable expectations
long hours

Advice to Management

promote people from smaller stores instead of flagship stores to get a more realistic view of day to day business expectations

Other Employee Reviews for LensCrafters

"Right place, wrong time"

Former Employee - Lab Technician
    Former Employee - Lab Technician

Pros

Computer systems are professional and useful--system calculates benefits, lays out the information in an easy-to-read and understand format, and makes it simple to change around lens/lens options/frames before checkout.

Accufit Digital System makes PD/seg ht/OC ht measurements and frame fit for entry-level frame stylists easier, as well as allowing the verification of measurements/frame fit at a later date. Customers who cannot see without their glasses may also use the image capturing system to feel more confident in their frame choice.

Pay raises occurred every year of employment (however, it was not guaranteed every year, and the end-of-year review ties into how much of a percentage you can expect.) Spiffs for the lab or commission for the retail available, usually dependent on store sales to plan.

Comprehensive online presence, with LUX University and frequently updated, relevant content on the main website.

Competitive benefits available like reimbursing ABO/NCLE exams (if passed), certificates, continuing education, and schooling. Free pair of eyewear after 1 year of employment, frame up to $500 and any lens for free. 50% off prescription eyewear or 30% off non-prescription eyewear. Friends and family coupons once a year.

Cons

No opportunity to move beyond 25hrs part-time after 4+ years with the company

No opportunity to work to a higher position (despite communicating desire to and immediate supervising managers giving access to training) after 4+ years

Not competitive in pay with other retail/lab-on-site locations

More fashion-forward/conscious, reflected in the pricing of frames

Not connected with the doctor's office (may vary on state), which can make it difficult when doctors, patients, and opticians are all on different pages

Hours were scarce and very rigid (new system starting late 2011 for scheduling is based on past year's profits, so no flexibility with hours despite meeting or exceeding current year's goals, which could [did] mean one retail associate, one lab associate, and a store full of frustrated customers.)

Management was constantly fluctuating and changing, at all levels (store, region, etc.)

Advice to Management

I do not regret working for LensCrafters, and I really appreciate the experience my coworkers gave me. The people that I knew as leaders--who helped shape the very perception I had of LensCrafters--were great coworkers and even greater teachers. It was unfortunate to learn that LensCrafters had no interest or ability to keep them, as many of my region's directors, store's management, and even the RVP were recruited by other locations within the last year of my employment. LensCrafters was unable to compete with the benefits, the hours, the pay, and the positions available at similar locations. Holding my own career back was not an option, and I was recruited in a similar fashion. It is unfortunate that LensCrafters wanted to lose those who were valuable, productive assets and willingly allowed themselves to be robbed of experience and expertise.

"It was a great place to work for while going to school."

Pros

Offers a fexible schedule to work.

Cons

It is a part time oriented company.