Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss - Be prepared for a high paced environment, high expectations and strict company policies | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss

"Be prepared for a high paced environment, high expectations and strict company policies"

Former Employee - Staff - Paralegal in Cincinnati, OH
Former Employee - Staff - Paralegal in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The compensation is good for all that is expected of the employees. If you are there to work hard and you shine above others, it will be noticed. Advancement opportunities are high for heavy producers.

Cons

Some managers need training in how to manage employees and teams. Also, at times there are periods of mandatory overtime. The organization cannot always predict sudden surges in volume though.

Advice to Management

Invest in management training sessions for your leaders.

Other Employee Reviews for Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss

"Un-awesome place to work"

Former Employee - Case Management Attorney in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Case Management Attorney in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time

Pros

You get paid. Most of the people who work there are great people (a shame they're treated the way they are).

Cons

1. Leadership is seriously lacking. The "leaders" seem to be under-educated non-attorneys who tell the attorneys how to do their jobs. They frequently complain if an attorney uses his (gulp) professional discretion to do something different than what has been done before. Frequently the expectations between non-attorney managers and (important) entities like judges and clients cannot be reconciled. They don't care. You do it how they demand it in house or you'll be disciplined. It makes no sense. The work product has steadily gone downhill because of this bowing down to internal managers instead of providing the best work product possible.

2. The workplace encourages spying and tattling rather than hard work and productivity. If you step a foot out of line, someone will report you. This may even include whether you're using the restroom too often. People may report false information during your review so the lowest possible raise (or no raise) will be given. Morale is extraordinarily low. If you so much as leave the office to grab a sandwich, you are required to make up the time. If you talk to someone else about a topic that is not work-related, the contents of your conversation will be reported to managers. Certain members of the staff have been seen loitering outside the closed doors of attorneys to eavesdrop for the purpose of turning them in. It's a running joke in the office that there is a staff quota for reporting bad things about the attorneys. Nearly all the managers and supervisors are the worst offenders, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. This leads to an unnecessarily tense relationship in the office. (To be fair, I'm sure the staff feels the opposite is true. There are a few attorneys who do the same thing, although most of the attorneys try not to).

3. There is no employee loyalty. It doesn't matter how long you've been there. It doesn't matter how good you are at your job. They will cut a long term employee for a newer one they can pay less. They hire temps so they can avoid paying out benefits, sick leave and vacation, and then cut them in favor of different temps when they've been there too long. This leads to very shoddy work because there is constantly a new rotation of staff doing various things.

This really is a terrible place to work. The work is adversarial and you're constantly berated by courts, defense attorneys and society at large. But what makes it unbearable is that you're also constantly being attacked from inside the office as well.

Advice to Management

Get rid of almost all the managers, shift focus of work to quality instead of quantity and attempt to care about the people you employ.

"Please do not subject yourself to this awful environment"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Lerner, Sampson, & Rothfuss full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The positives to working at this place are as follows: 1) The pay will keep food on your table 2) Some of your co-workers are decent. That is all I can nicely say about this place.

Cons

The cons are as follows:
    *Management has not been trained on the jobs they try to delegate to their employees.
    *Management gets to show up whenever they feel like it. Sometimes around 9 or 10 while you are expected to be in your seat and started on your work by 8 on the nose or you will face disciplinary actions
    *Management uses speaker phone and they talk extrememly loud while doing so.... These are personal conversations not work related. You however are expected to never have a personal conversation with your co-workers unless you would like to face disciplinary actions
    *Management uses their cell phones constantly ( as i personally was asked for a phone charger one day).
    *You are not permitted to make a personal call or receive them even if your child is sick or you need to straighten out a bill that make cause your electric to be turned off. Atleast not without facing more disciplinary actions.
    *You are premitted to make phone calls or browse the internet during your 30 minute lunch break. Your one and only break for the entire day. Did I mention it is typically a 9 and a half to ten and a half hour work day as well? that is without travel time.
    *The mandatory overtime is assigned the day before and is non negotiable for any reason. During my time of employment I watched long time employees quit due to the harsh demands and family funerals and college drop offs and birthdays they had to miss.
    *Management often leaves early or takes days off in order to attend their childrens school class parties. Which if your read my bullet above you can see where this is unfair.
    *If you refuse to tattle on your friends or are not the type to constantly brown nose then you are hated by managment. almost to the point of being harrassed.
    *You are not expected to take any time off if you are a temp. This includes being sick or having a death in the family or car troubles. Dont even think about vacation time.
    *Expect to be a temo for a very long time. They constatnly have hiring freezes and once they drain your life with all the 8 to 10 hours mandatory over time weeks they let you go
    *They let you go by having your temp agency call you one evening after work they do not let on in any kind of way that you will be let go. They do no have any meetings with you about performance or attendance or anything that may cause you to be let go. You are just let go.
    *During all this overtime their regular employees get to take weeks of vacation and days off for whateve they please... atleast the regular employees they like.
    *Personally I was a temp for over a year. Requested constant meeting about my performance and progress and ways to improve so that i may be hired on at the end of the "hiring freeze" and upon my last progress meeting request I was ignored and then let go.
    *The verbal harrassment can be a lot to handle at times. It comes on a personal level rather than a work level. Comments about weight and your home life such as your children and your spouse get brought up frequently as if it is anyones business.
    *There are no benfits to being a temp and absolutely no promises of being hired on and in fact when they go to lay off people as they tend to do each spring it is a mix of temps lookiing to be hired on and full time employees. The fresh temps who see this as an opportunity may get excited but it wont be long befor they are the seasoned ones and then let you go.
    *This company uses emo services for cheap employment and honestly they do not keep anyone in this place long enough for they to know how to do their job correctly. I am surprised they have the client base that they do as massive multi million dollar mistakes are constantly made. I would not only not work here I would not do business here.
    *Please read all the reviews. Think long and hard about the reviews and then make a choice. I am not some young disgruntled employee. I appreciate the experience I recieved while working here and enjoyed my co-workers (minus my manager and supervisors). I enjoyed the work I did on a daily basis. But employee appreciation and the inablilty to have that stability of a full time (no lay off) enovironment does not exist. The harrasment and favoritism shown through supervisors and management is an awful and traumatizing experience. The lack of a life outside of work is also draining. Please listen to all the warnings and stay far far away. This place will drain you.