Level 3 Communications - It's as bad as you've heard it is! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Level 3 Communications

"It's as bad as you've heard it is!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

Pros

Network engineering seemed at least competent. Fiber network is an asset. Salary was OK; not great, and not "market leading," but OK.

Cons

Management, MANAGEMENT, MANAGEMENT!! Have less of a clue about leadership than anywhere else I've worked.

Layers of management seem to be isolated from each other. No downwards, or upwards, communications -- sad given that word, the C word, is in the company name!

Internal infighting is simply UNBELIEVABLE -- each group seems to think if they win, then that is what matters -- have ZERO clue if all you do is fight each other, then EVERYBODY looses, and the competition wins!

Performance management system based on forced distribution -- certain percentage of employees have to be ranked as bad performers. Utterly demotivating!

Level 3 think Content is about carrying HD video broadcasts. They think they compete against Akamai, but are completely clueless about any of what makes Akamai successful.

In general don't seem to have a friggin clue what business they are in. WAY too much telecom mentality, but they are not a carrier!

Imagine the Titanic with one end out of the water, at about a 15 degree angle --- you know what comes next!

Advice to Management

Sell the fiber network to somebody, and fold up the tent entirely! The current upper management is incapable; they ought to retire and be done with it.

Other Employee Reviews for Level 3 Communications

1. "Run away from this place."

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

I can't really think of anything that they did right..

I need to enter 10 more words right to submit.

there.

Cons

I tried to put down everything but the form ran out of space. In a nutshell:
      ~ E.O concept is false. They laid off everyone and outsorced.
      ~ Stock went from $8 to $1 because of laying off subject matter experts without trying to understand what they do.
     ~ They even laid off the team who was supposto document this 1/2 way through "unity's" dev cycle.
     ~ I gave a bunch of well constructed feedback that wasn't blasting the company. The HR person basically said that they wern't interested with business problems, just my thoughts on HR.
    ~ Run.. Run.. Run..

Advice to Management

~ Don't layoff your SME's...
    ~ Unity is a joke.
    ~ Broomfield is not the center of the universe.
    ~ Cheap offshore resources yield low stock prices.

"A Very Difficult Place to Work, the worst of my 15+ year career."

Former Employee - Senior Manager I T in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Manager I T in Broomfield, CO

Pros

Health Benefits were good, Offices were fairly Nice, Broomfield Campus has Breakfast & Lunch available but kinda pricey. Campus is appealing in appearance, Location is good.

Cons

As a Manager with 15 years experience my 2 years at Level 3 were by far the worst of my career. As a Manager I was forced to give 20% of my team BAD Performance reviews when I felt that they were all performing at or above expectations. Also as an employee you cannot disagree with your Performance Review and engaging HR was a trigger to get fired or Lay-ed Off. The Performance Review Process has been this way for years now and every department in my group was forced to punish good workers. I have personally experienced teams taking turn as to who needed to have the bad review this time. The whole process breeds a lack of moral and miserable work environment. The politics at L3 were much like high school. My VP just didn't like some of the staff and would slam them without prior notice on Performance Reviews. The ones he did "Like" were often promoted into jobs that they could not technically support or perform from my experience. I was also very disappointed with the overall skill set of the Technical Support Members with the exception of the Networking Team. Poor decisions are made weekly and not in the best interest of the company. On a last word, I was RIF'ed and my position was back-filled just months after I left. Not sure how L3 can legally do this, but has for years.

Advice to Management

L3 Needs to have a big change in Executive Management. Jim needs to step down and someone needs to investigate the performance of Each Business unit as a whole. I.T. is very outdated and money is spent on things not in the best interest of the Company. Limping along old Applications, Systems and processes are costing more to support than the cost of a consolidation or upgrade.
    Millions of Dollars have been wasted in my opinion.