Leverage Marketing - A waste of time | Glassdoor

"A waste of time"

Former Employee - Business Development Consultant in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Business Development Consultant in Austin, TX

Pros

Originally, working at Leverage seemed to be promising as the company was growing and my direct manager expressed the need to hire people who could take the company to the next level and create a culture to sustain success.

Cons

As a salesperson, the most disheartening con is the poor customer service/account management. In short, I lost over half of my clients sold before they even billed, and each case clearly pointed to dropped balls by the department we handed off to after it was sold.

The root cause of all downsides related to the VP in charge of operations. This person was in way over their head and to compensate for their shortcomings and complete lack of people skills, they would institute boiler-room type management - required to make high volume dials from a database of aged leads that had been purchased a year before they were given to the salespeople... rather than allowing salespeople to research to make intelligent calls. Salespeople with a history of success were given no respect by this VP who appeared to have little meaningful experience prior to this role, but I suspect he padded his resume based on his bio on the company website, using words repetitively like "vast" and "countless" to describe his experiences and skills at 25... this is not to say that a 25 year old couldn't be qualified, but this one clearly had a complex counter to sound management - and most every employee was stumped as to why the owner of the company could be so hoodwinked by this person unless he had some blackmail-worthy scoop on him.

As far as the company's vision, it was too limited as a traditional google adwords agency paid a percentage of adwords spend and unless they changed their service offering to address the burgeoning social sites, it would go out of business.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to owners now while there is some (any?) value to a company/people who have the strategy and management expertise to keep and grow the client base.

Other Employee Reviews for Leverage Marketing

1. "Wonderful Experience at Leverage Marketing!"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Leverage Marketing as an intern

Pros

If you are looking for an internship that challenges your creativity and causes you to think, this internship is perfect for you. While working at Leverage, I received a lot of guidance from the innovative and dedicated team. I worked on various projects and received feedback, which helped me grow and develop in the digital marketing world. I have nothing but wonderful experiences while working at Leverage Marketing.

Cons

If you are not interested in projects that cause you to think out-of-the-box, this may not be the right internship for you. Leverage Marketing focuses on innovation and challenges your critical thinking and creativity. Although maybe not for everyone, this was the perfect experience for me.

"Invaluable Experience"

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

Pros

As a college student, I have been an intern with Leverage for the past two summers and I continue to learn more about digital marketing everyday. The leverage team is enthusiastic to pass on their knowledge to help myself and other interns grow.

I have gotten the opportunity to work with incredibly talented people within this company as an intern and feel like the work I am doing matters, I'm not only given spreadsheets to update, I'm getting to work on real accounts, testing things, updating websites, and even working on sites before they go live.

I feel that I am more prepared to enter the workforce as a new graduate because of my internship at leverage, and that is exactly what I feel an internship should provide.

Cons

You must be a very quick learner and this kind of environment won't suit everyone.
    -----> Leverage is a fast-paced working environment, I have gone from knowing almost nothing about digital marketing, to knowing more than I thought possible, in just 2 summers, but you have to be able to pick up on things quickly and not be afraid to ask questions.