Lewis & Clark College - Interview People Who Have Left As to Why | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lewis & Clark College

"Interview People Who Have Left As to Why"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Associate Director in Portland, OR

I worked at Lewis & Clark College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, school calendar year, access to outdoor swimming pool during the summer, access to paid by employee exercise classes, borrowed work laptop and other technology equipment.

Cons

Nothing at LC is what it seems to be. Diversity being touted? Minimal. Advancement possibilities? Non-existent. Training and Development? Limited funding so only in-house development courses for directors and those with higher titles. You don't have the title? Good luck getting any development funds. Have innovative ideas? Do them on your own time. How many people make up a department? Try 1-3 people! Ask for more FTE to do a better job? There isn't any money. What do other duties as assigned on your contract mean? It means you will be expected to do the job of your supervisor and that of several other people because you will be understaffed, guaranteed!

Advice to Management

Look up what good managers are supposed to do and try implementing some of those ideas. It is not acceptable to expect your employees to keep giving more while telling them there are limited resources. Giving managers the power to determine how professional development dollars are spent should be better supervised by HR. I paid for my own training as there were never any funds available for professional development in my department.

Other Employee Reviews for Lewis & Clark College

"Needs to improve cross-campus culture."

Current Employee - Temporary Program Assistant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Temporary Program Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Lewis & Clark College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm not one to bring up visual appearances as it seems superfluous to me. The biggest pro is that there are a lot of interesting people on campus to collaborate with. Everyone is intelligent and the students are great to work with.

Cons

The school needs to do a better job of connecting all the campuses together and creating a more harmonious environment. I worked their temporarily and the program I worked with had a lot of internal struggles as it worked with two different colleges. The result of which were confused student employees and program coordinators. They seem to lack a “team” effort across campus. This led me to be less interested in the full time position, which is why it was given to someone else, who most likely adhered to their culture better. They also need to do a better job recruiting minority students and breaking out of the privileged history.

Advice to Management

Hire an outside agency to work on improving the culture on campus. Work on team building and respect for others. I think things would improve if "difficult" employees who are only their for the benefits were given good severance packages and were let go. It is difficult to keep the ship running smoothly when there are so many employees set to sink it.

2. "Wonderful Community"

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at Lewis & Clark College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is wonderful to work with, the campus is beautiful and the benefits are great. I always looked forward to coming to work and seeing my coworkers. Work/life balance was excellent as well.

Cons

My only complaint was that I was in the union and it's hard to have your raises based solely on tenure and not on performance.