LexisNexis Legal & Professional - Rightsource = OUTsource = ten year old business model | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for LexisNexis Legal & Professional

"Rightsource = OUTsource = ten year old business model"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vacation accrual plan is fairly generous and the only thing keeping me here at the moment.

Cons

HIGHLY limited internal career path. Highly expensive benifits. Constantly re-working the 'mission' of the organization to the point that is becomes a joke! Horrible at retaining the highly productive employees. Hihgly inconsistent regarding work locations/work from home options.

Advice to Management

Retain your talent, quit outsourcing things like support to offshore organizations.

Other Employee Reviews for LexisNexis Legal & Professional

1. "some good, some bad"

Current Employee - Legal Research Consultant
    Current Employee - Legal Research Consultant

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time

Pros

*Some of the most wonderful, intelligent, creative, hard-working co-workers I've had the pleasure of working with in my career.
    *Flexible work situation. Many positions allow you to work from home.
    *Training/continued education: the company continues to invest in you.
    *Always improving--this might be a negative to some because it feels like there is a major change every couple of years, but the truth is, the company is rather agile and is constantly looking to improve/respond to the evolving needs of customers
    *Some innovative products

Cons

*Legal market is difficult (market contracting, notoriously difficult customers)
    *Too many Senior Managers
    *Lay-offs continue to loom--but for employees they value they really do try to find alternative positions
    *Complex organization is difficult to maneuver--this is where the wonderful co-workers are important
    *Sometimes unrealistic expectations from employees--goals don't always seem reasonable

Advice to Management

*Get realistic about expectations
    *Next time you need to make staff reductions, look at management, rather than customer-facing employees
    *Keep focusing on excellence in products and customer service--if these give even a little, we lose what makes us great

"I Want to Leave"

Pros

To give proper credit, the benefits at this company are not bad. They do allow very generous paid time off for veteran employees plus additional holidays each year. The medical benefits are O.K., but they've been cut back a bit in recent years. That's it.

Cons

I feel sort of walled in by my job here. Creativity's not encouraged for average employees. Quite to the contrary, there seem to be a million rules and procedures to be followed, and they change and proliferate with the passage of time. Layoffs have been fairly common over the past several years, and it seems as if some departments, especially IT, have suffered more than others. At present, an offshore center for editorial work has entered the mix. It's hard to say how many layoffs, if any, this will produce, but there's a certain degree of pessimism among those who could be affected. Promotions are limited to a select few, and there does NOT seem to be any kind of clear career path for the average employee. Favoritism is the rule of the game, and toadying by inferiors is commonplace. Some people are Machiavellian in their behavior. Managers range from understanding to arrogant to downright horrible. It seems as if all workers are equal, but managers are much more equal, if you get my meaning. The same few names are entrenched in middle management or seem to be and they stay year after year, while most of us worry about unemployment. Promotions seem few & far between. Communications from the very top levels seem to be poorly done and infrequent. Another reviewer here said that this is a great place for professionals who enjoy being ordered around. That's true, unless you're in a higher position. You begin to lose confidence in your abilities after awhile, since you aren't expected to do much but follow the orders of your superiors. I guess former career military people might feel at home here, but I don't care for it at all.

Advice to Management

I don't expect anyone to listen or care. This is a very large corporation, and I'm just another cog in the machine. When I leave here, if at all possible, I've vowed never to work for another multinational corporation again. I want to be treated like a human being again once I'm gone.