Lexmark International - Lexmark: We're always working... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lexmark International

"Lexmark: We're always working..."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lexington, KY
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lexington, KY

Pros

Lexmark is a unique environment. I have been there for almost a year and a half now. Thus far I believe the thing I like most about my job environment is the freedom. My job allows me to work as much or as little as I would like. Managers rarely micromanage and I have the freedom to execute my tasks as I see fit. As long as the deadlines are met workers have the freedom to explore other areas which they may find interesting. Originally my job description defined my job as strictly testing. I expanded my horizons however by incorporating programming and within a year my job title had changed.

Lexmark is also a very diverse environment so it gives you the opportunity to work with people from across the globe. This type of variety allows you to gain a perspective different from you own.

Cons

Some of Lexmark's strengths also serve as weaknesses as well. Managers are sometimes too hands off. They give a project and then never check in until it is due. Sometimes there are workers which take a few hours off for lunch or take take 5 30 minute smoke breaks a day, but management never notices.

Another issue is the number of contractors working with Lexmark. Lexmark hires workers as contractors, but uses them as full time employees. They do the same work as a full time hire, but do not get the same compensation. This leads to contractors resenting management and full time hires. They do not treat their work with the same amount of pride because they feel as though their efforts are not appreciated.

Advice to Management

Clearly communicate to contract workers whether there is a plan to help them move on to a full time regular employment. If there is no plan communicated to the employee it is natural that most will view Lexmark as a temporary position until they can find a "real" job. Until this problem is solved you will continue to struggle with high turn over rates and mediocre job performance from workers who are capable of so much more.

Other Employee Reviews for Lexmark International

"Lexmark headed downhill."

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Lexington, KY

Pros

Good 401K and retirement package.

Cons

Too many levels of managment. Lexmark only concerned about making things cheap, not creating new and exciting technology. Promotions are given to employees who don't deserve, while others who get all the work done are not.

Advice to Management

Focus on just making a good printer.

2. "I would only recommend Lexmark if you are currently unemployed."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

Pros

Compensation and benefits are good for the Lexington area.

Cons

Senior management is clueless about how to turn the company around. Nepotism is running rampant within the company.

Advice to Management

Please take your money and retire while there is still a company for the rank and file. You continue to pretend that you are the #2 printer provider worldwide, however, market data confirms that you are in a major decline and not close to being the overall #2 behind HP. How's that Non-Compete agreement working for you?