Liberty Mutual Insurance - Strong Industry and Company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

"Strong Industry and Company"

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Advancement Opportunity
Excellent Pay and Benefits
Engaged Workforce
Strong Senior Management Team
Global Diverse Company

Cons

Very Competitive Hiring and Selection Process

Other Employee Reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

"The hiring process is lengthy and extensive. Training can be vigorous and fast paced."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Liberty Mutual lives up to it's Mission Statement. It is a reputable job with a fortune 500 company who has been in business for 100 years.

Cons

Fast paced, required to acquire state licensing in a relatively short time.

Advice to Management

Improve training for new hires.

"Great people, lots of opportunities, lots of bureaucracy in IT"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dover, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dover, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Liberty is a huge company with a huge IT organization. If you get your foot in the door and you do well, you can be guaranteed that you'll be able to move around and try different things you're interested in. Also, the majority of the workers in IT are *very* nice. I worked in Portsmouth, NH and Dover, NH and the majority of those I interacted with daily were great people, I ended up making lots of good friends there. The compensation is also good and you get a lot of time off.

Cons

I worked in IT, and you can tell that the business does not appreciate or understand the value that IT provides to their business. I believe that this is in part caused by the fact that middle management in IT (not necessarily executive management) hides the truth about IT operations in order to save face.

Another consequence of middle management doing this is that if an IT project is going badly, instead of explaining why things are going wrong and asking for help, they instead expect IT employees to make up for this by working overtime to make up for it. I especially saw this with system administrators - they have no say in how IT projects are run yet are simply expected to be on at all hours of the night to make changes so they don't impact systems during business hours. On top of this, there is no recognition when these employees have to do off hours work with no notice, in addition to their normal business hours work.

Also, the health insurance could be better, it's a bit expensive for what you get.

Even though this cons section was long, it's really a good place to work!

Advice to Management

Try to create a culture where honesty is rewarded instead of punished. Reward your employees if they have to do off hours IT work. Better yet, if 24x7 support is needed, create more shifts. Even better yet, invest effort into solidifying IT processes so that the fear of doing changes during business hours isn't there anymore.