Liberty Mutual Insurance - Good place to work generally - depends on your manager | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

"Good place to work generally - depends on your manager"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Dover, NH
Current Employee - Software Developer in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good architecture teams
Mixture of deprecated and new technology
Lots of experienced people to learn from
In my experience, very competent mid-level managers

Cons

Sometimes emphasis is put in wrong place when evaluating employees.
Unclear business strategy to the %90 of the company that isn't an executive

Other Employee Reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

"This company takes good care of it`s own, Big Time..!"

Current Employee - IT Systems Administrative in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - IT Systems Administrative in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, FTO, bonus, benifits are tops.
    FTO (flexable time off)
    Internal support teams who are in America and speak english.

Cons

For me the only downside is how far I drive to work each day.

Advice to Management

Keep it up and keep looking forward and up.

"6 Years, 10 Managers - Apparently responsibilty as policy only applies to customers."

Former Employee - Software/Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software/Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

•Competitive compensation
    •Tuition reimbursement
    •Pension
    •Other benefits decent

Cons

•Lack of direction - I had 10 managers in 6 years but only ever changed jobs once. I was told that managers are shuffled to groups they have no experience with every 2 years as part of their development. You can imagine how this impacts employee development.

•Limited connection between individual performance and bonuses - 2 years in a row employees in my group were told that our bonuses was funded at a lower level because of high claims payouts due to natural disasters. Those same years the CEO earned ~$50M. He and the current CEO later explained that this was due to phantom stock earned over a long career appreciating due to solid performance and that his normal annual compensation was closer to $15M. For the record, I'm not against big company CEOs being highly compensated (I think Jamie Dimon and Lloyd Blankfein earn it), but for a mutual company owned by policyholders, $50M in compensation because of strong performance while I'm told I won't be getting even half of my bonus because it rained a lot last year seems odd. I wonder what his $50M compensation would have been if the weather had been better.

•Broken promises - As a company that's grown significantly through acquisition and dealt with dozens if not hundreds of "redundancies" as a result, you'd think that the company would be able to handle a delicate situation like a significant re-org with some finesse. Instead the updates employees were promised either consisted of "we're still working on it" or missed entirely.

•Purposeless Performance Evaluation - Every year employees spend a significant amount of time writing goals and having their performance evaluated. Turns out this measure of your performance is not taken into account at all when layoffs are considered. You can have performance above 100 every year you're there and that will not be considered at all when someone decides whether you get laid off or not. This is not conjecture. I was told this by my manager and HR.

•Waste - It isn't difficult to see where employee bonuses went. Upon taking over for $200M man Ted Kelly in 2011, CEO David Long remodeled his office at a cost of over $4.5M ($3370 per square foot). This does not sound like a responsible mutual company acting in its policyholders' best interests. And I can see why a company might need one or a couple of private jets, but 5? Seems like someone's trying to top RJR.

Advice to Management

•Connect compensation (particularly bonuses) more to individual performance, not weather

•Cultural and strategic changes take time to be realized. Just because some desired change isn't complete in 6 months doesn't mean it isn't taking hold.

•Behave responsibly and respectfully when letting people go and consider their performance.