Liberty Mutual Insurance - Micro MICRO Management | Glassdoor

"Micro MICRO Management"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good HR department that answers questions quickly and efficiently.
"Flexible time off" is a real nice perk.
Sponsor of the US Sochi Olympic team.

Cons

If you are considering a position as a "Sales Representative with this company please reconsider. In all my years in the business I have NEVER worked for a company that micro manages as much as this one does. They literally monitor and keep statistics on EVERYTHING you do. When I was recruited I was told that the hours were "flexible" and that I would be in complete control of my schedule. NOT TRUE. If you're not sitting in your cubicle you'd better have a good reason for not being there.

Extremely tough underwriting that makes it very difficult to write new business, which is obviously required to keep your job. VERY high rates on homeowners and auto insurance unless you fall into a VERY specific demographic that Liberty wants as its clients.

Sales managers that just DO NOT let up on the pressure they put on the reps. I would get text messages at all hours of the day and night from my manager asking why I didnt make a sale if I went on an appointment and the client didnt buy.
Most insurance companies, or at least the few that I have worked for, keep monthly or even quarterly goals that are easily manageable. Liberty keeps track and sends out sales numbers DAILY and WEEKLY which puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the reps. Sales is very cyclical, especially in this industry. There can be weeks where you put up zero sales, but then make up for it in the next week by putting up 10. At Liberty if you have a bad week, LOOK OUT, be prepared to explain why you put up a zero.

If you like being watched, micro managed and stressed out daily...take this job.

Advice to Management

Let adults be adults. Enough of the constant micro managing and give your sales reps some latitude. Theres a reason why you go through sales reps like water through a sieve. It is NOT always the reps fault...look in the mirror.

Other Employee Reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

"Rewarding position if you apply yourself!"

Current Employee - Personal Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Personal Sales Representative

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Supportive and professional environment; many tools and resources at your disposal; office synergy; excellent schedule flexibility; ongoing training; mileage and expense reimbursement

Cons

Compensation plan for sales provides a disproportionate focus to new business and very poor residuals; Strange format limits your work hours unless approved by management to exceed them; Poor branch management lacks inspiration, intelligence and innovative growth strategies; wasteful, ineffective meetings every week; lots of red tape for marketing approvals; management trainees without prior insurance or relevant leadership experience are an absolute joke.

Advice to Management

Solicit the feedback of the field producers/sales teams that are responsible on the front lines for your annual growth (not in an online survey bur in person); Survey the approval of local branch management; Value the limited time of the sales representatives and eliminate wasteful meetings (more time prospecting and producing); promote more from within on the sales side to management; hire industry-specific (i.e. insurance) experienced personnel to fill roles in training and management development. Underwriting review of rates pertaining to single households with one vehicle; Shorten look back period of minor traffic violations on record or soften the impact on the premium over time. More competitive life insurance rates.

2. "Not a good company to work for anymore...they've laid off so many depts. & yet the co is doing very well."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

not many positives to say about this company. They were great to work for at one time.

Cons

It's all about the dollar with this co & they lay off people all the time, especially those that have been loyal & worked for the co for years.