Liberty Mutual Insurance - Not a good company to work for anymore...they've laid off so many depts. & yet the co is doing very well. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

"Not a good company to work for anymore...they've laid off so many depts. & yet the co is doing very well."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

not many positives to say about this company. They were great to work for at one time.

Cons

It's all about the dollar with this co & they lay off people all the time, especially those that have been loyal & worked for the co for years.

Other Employee Reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

"Top of the Line Development Programs, Very Competent Management, but Below Average Compensation After Entry Level"

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Arguably some of the best developmental training programs for entry level college students in the entire industry for Underwriting and Claims
    - Strongly encourages continuing education and personal development growth
    - Recent restructuring of company has been designed to consistently take in front line feedback
    - Very competent management, both at managerial and executive levels, at least within California offices; management is involved, but does not excessively micromanage
    - Positive morale in the office, largely due to local profitability; people from competing companies are often willing to take pay cuts to come to Liberty due to the better work/life balance.
    - Management recently has been doing significantly better at recognizing all employee contributions and efforts, whether verbally or through small incentives

Cons

- While compensation is generous for entry level, the difference in pay grade tiers is minimal. For example, one of my promotions had a smaller pay increase than what their "standard of living increase" the prior year consisted of. Promotion was a flat 5.00% increase.
    - Tends to lose the most talented employees to competitors that pay more. Relies heavily on employees not willing to relocate for other jobs, especially if there is not much competition in the area.
    - New restructuring of the company has inundated front line employees with excessive amounts of meetings; meetings often focus on extremely tedious and inconsequential matters
    - Company does not have a strong "promote from within" culture. Even if there are qualified internal members for a position, they prefer to hire from outside, with the mentality they are gaining a new valuable asset while retaining an existing one in the current role.

Advice to Management

- It is commonly known within the company that the best way to "move up" is to transfer to another company and then transfer back in a few years, if you prefer to work at Liberty. Have a stronger focus on promoting from within, you have incredibly talented/competent front line underwriters and managers that get passed up on promotions to "bring in new perspective." - - Be willing to pay more competitively, at least for the very top performers, even if it means paying your lowest performers even less. There is not enough of a pay differential.
    - PEAK is great in concept but is excessive in its standardization of processes and is overly time consuming. Keep the practices, but tone down the frequency and tedious requirements.
    - Positive company morale is a large factor that's keeping underpaid employees from leaving. Make sure to maintain it.

"Micro MICRO Management"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good HR department that answers questions quickly and efficiently.
    "Flexible time off" is a real nice perk.
    Sponsor of the US Sochi Olympic team.

Cons

If you are considering a position as a "Sales Representative with this company please reconsider. In all my years in the business I have NEVER worked for a company that micro manages as much as this one does. They literally monitor and keep statistics on EVERYTHING you do. When I was recruited I was told that the hours were "flexible" and that I would be in complete control of my schedule. NOT TRUE. If you're not sitting in your cubicle you'd better have a good reason for not being there.

Extremely tough underwriting that makes it very difficult to write new business, which is obviously required to keep your job. VERY high rates on homeowners and auto insurance unless you fall into a VERY specific demographic that Liberty wants as its clients.

Sales managers that just DO NOT let up on the pressure they put on the reps. I would get text messages at all hours of the day and night from my manager asking why I didnt make a sale if I went on an appointment and the client didnt buy.
    Most insurance companies, or at least the few that I have worked for, keep monthly or even quarterly goals that are easily manageable. Liberty keeps track and sends out sales numbers DAILY and WEEKLY which puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the reps. Sales is very cyclical, especially in this industry. There can be weeks where you put up zero sales, but then make up for it in the next week by putting up 10. At Liberty if you have a bad week, LOOK OUT, be prepared to explain why you put up a zero.

If you like being watched, micro managed and stressed out daily...take this job.

Advice to Management

Let adults be adults. Enough of the constant micro managing and give your sales reps some latitude. Theres a reason why you go through sales reps like water through a sieve. It is NOT always the reps fault...look in the mirror.