Liberty Mutual Insurance - Accountant | Glassdoor

"Accountant"

Former Employee - Accountant in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Accountant in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

employment, office located in good neighborhood in the city.

Cons

corporate structure, title driven, hard to advance, LOW pay compared to market, folks put themselves on pedestals because of their title, so much so that they wont respond to an email from lower level employees if theyre a manager (unless you include all those who are 'above' you on the email). reminds me of the book 1984. its easy to get pigeonholed. your experience is not transferable, so after 15 years as a Sr. Accountant, good luck if you get laid off due to restructure (which happens all the time). they encourage lateral moves to further diversify your background, which only spreads you thinner and less marketable outside. heavy heavy office politics. they don't care for their employees no matter what they preach, your treated like a child, not a professional. On days before holidays, grown adults "professionals'' sit around and wait for an email from mgt "allowing" them to leave early...really?? what is this 1st grade? no one knows what theyre talking about (non professional). they preach higher education, so many people enrolled in grad programs, and they dont know why theyre getting their degree. Oh because they wont promote you to manager w/o a masters (regardless of how much experience you have). stay away at all cost, "Start here go no where" should be the modo in the corp office. Full of people who put on a tie, work in the city get paid garbage and think their better than others. go elsewhere it will take you further, dont get caught in their trap. No training structure. I was let go as a result of a reorg, and literally 1 month later i found a role with another insurance company, paying me $22k more/year. I am not making that up. with 7 more vaca days and 10 actual sick days.

Advice to Management

get over yourself, stop treating those who are not on the same level as you as inferior. care about the professional development of your staff. Pay market base salary.

Other Employee Reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

1. "Lack of Ambition"

Former Intern - Business Systems Analyst in Dover, NH
    Former Intern - Business Systems Analyst in Dover, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern

Pros

Job security, large company with good pay.

Cons

People in my department lacked ambition

2. "Satisfying Career"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

You have room to grow and be the best you can be.

Cons

The uncertainty of the future when it comes to being a "field" insurance agent.