Liberty Mutual Insurance - Intern Experience-YMMV | Glassdoor

"Intern Experience-YMMV"

Current Intern - Finance in Boston, MA
Current Intern - Finance in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The compensation was good(17/hour) as a sophomore intern, the amenities nice(had my own cubicle) and you can't beat the location. The large company also provides a lot of opportunity for moving around and strengthening your network given it's size. Business casual is also a plus too(it was a trial run this summer no idea if it's going to be implemented) plus good cafe and food services provided by the company.

Cons

The hiring process was a huge pain in the rear. My first interview was November on campus, followed by an email two weeks later to come to the office for the interview. They rescheduled me twice during January and I was told I would hear back in two weeks but didn't hear back for 3 MONTHS!!!

After that I was called about my lack of owning a credit card, and needed to jump through hoops to provide proof I was an enrolled student.

While an intern you could have compressed all the work I did to just a two week period. If it wasn't for the meetings which I was told by HR to keep my mouth shut during and the stupid busy work I got asked to do around the office such as filing I could have come in one day a week and got the same experience. The HR department seriously needs to get it's stuff together. Seriously disappointed in my experience here. I would advise interns to seek experiences elsewhere. Most of my work consisted of filing, preparing documents, or excel work lacking any real challenge or thought to it. I was essentially a secretary

Advice to Management

Fire literally everyone in HR, reevaluate the process which departments go through to request interns, and make your hiring process faster. A 3 month wait period is incredibly unprofessional on your behalf. Out of 20 or so interns I have developed close contact with only one-two have any serious considerations to returning to this company. The irony of the selection process is that it's so competitive(mostly brand name business schools such as BC and Bentley with gpas of 3.5 or higher) is that the students have better opportunities elsewhere in consulting, advisory, wealth management or public accounting. Step up your game liberty mutual

Other Employee Reviews for Liberty Mutual Insurance

"Professional and responsible, like meeting a CPA on a blind date"

Current Employee - Insurance Assistant in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Insurance Assistant in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, pension (rare these days), and employee recognition system. Management level and above have flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Some internal politics, primarily a cubicle environment, company is (understandably) risk-averse to the point where things like an on-site workout facility is thought to be too risky.

Advice to Management

Upper management has recently changed, and some of the things I liked about the company are also changing. I would advise not to change for the sake of change. Even the most cost-effective decision can have unintended negative consequences.

"Great Company! Great People! Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Liberty in the Safeco Center in Seattle downtown, I love what the company stands for, how innovative it is in terms of IT/software/etc, and how hard-working yet "chill" my colleagues are. Both the Seattle buildings (Safeco Center and Safeco Plaza) are really nice and well-located. The work-life balance is great, especially as an entry-level hire/young hire (1-2 years). Salary/benefits are good too!

Cons

Since Liberty is primarily an East Coast-based company, the work hours for the Seattle employees tend to shift earlier to accomodate those employees in Boston, New Hampshire, and Indianapolis. So, key work hours in Seattle usually range from 7 AM to 3 PM, which can be hard on those who aren't "morning people." Otherwise, everything else about the company is great!

Advice to Management

Management at Liberty should continue what they have been doing at the company over the past 5 years! They have pushed the organization to new heights, as it has become a model for how modern insurance companies should be led. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with our current high level executives/managers!