Life Care Centers of America - Micromanagement style very focused on maximizing reimbursement and profits while minimizing clinical judgement of rehab | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Life Care Centers of America

"Micromanagement style very focused on maximizing reimbursement and profits while minimizing clinical judgement of rehab"

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist
Current Employee - Occupational Therapist

I have been working at Life Care Centers of America full-time

Pros

Pay is good for therapists (comparable to other nursing facilities), no problem getting needed supplies, working with residents is rewarding, good rehab team.

Cons

Excessive emphasis on achieving highest reimbursement levels possible on every resident, despite medical need. Therapist judgement is often overruled with financial goals being the primary determining factor in how much therapy a patient gets. CNA staff is cut to the bone, and therapists are expected to answer call lights whenever we walk down the hall. Call lights are always on. But productivity demands are such that when we stop to help every resident who needs something we are unable to meet productivity goals. Nurses are overwhelmed and turnover is high, and the best nurses don't seem to stay long. Sometimes adversarial relationships between therapy and nursing. Corporate employees from the home office, or regional managers often take a very superior and arrogant attitude, and instead of trying to learn from the staff who actually work with the patients, they try to present themselves as all knowing. Very top down management style.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees. Fall prevention and nutrition meetings should be on the floor, involving the staff who knows the patients. Why not do rounds at shift change, with both nurses and CNA's so that the incoming shift really knows what is going on with the patients, and it allows the patient's and families a time to ask questions. Involve therapy staff in family meetings. Make opportunities for staff to communicate up the chain. Staff probably has lots of good ideas for making things better, but usually no one asks for their ideas. And most important, spend more money on CNA's. If you pay them a little more, and hire a few more per shift, your turnover would go way down, and it would be easier to fire the "bad apples" cause there would be lots of applicants wanting those jobs. Customer satisfaction would go way up, and state surveys would go better. If that would cost too much money, consider ways of cutting management.

Other Employee Reviews for Life Care Centers of America

"Money hungry, depressing environment, poor resident care & SHORT STAFFED!"

I have been working at Life Care Centers of America part-time

Pros

None at the moment...looking for work elsewhere!

Cons

Expected to work for "FREE" yes off the clock to get everyday duties completed & that's still not acceptable they still our on us cutting hours, I see call lights on for long periods & residents begging & pleading for someone to help them but never enough staff to accommodate residents needs :-( staff is overworked & underappreciated!!

Advice to Management

Take care of the ones who keep your company running "your employees"

"Beat down and worn out."

I have been working at Life Care Centers of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A few of the individuals I work with and for are very dedicated professionals who work themselves to the bone to appropriately care for our residents.

Cons

Middle management must give their entire lives to Life Care without just or fair compensation. They are taken advantage of on a daily basis, with more and more being asked of them every day. Most of them I have seen try their best to keep up, only to get reprimanded for not being able to do the impossible.

Advice to Management

Recognize how much of themselves many of your management associates give to LCCA. Instead of taking their entire lives and continuing to demand more, show your appreciation by actually giving them at least the same 1% annual raise that associates at the facility level get. We often work harder and get much less in the way of benefits than someone working in a facility. You preach about how to show facility level associates they are appreciated, yet it seems no one cares about management level associates. It takes everyone in all positions to make the company successful. Recognize when expectations are so unrealistic that someone could work 24 hours per day and still not meet them. Then adjust expectations accordingly.