Life Time Fitness - Not bad but opted not to take position | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Life Time Fitness

"Not bad but opted not to take position"

Current Employee - Dietitian in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Dietitian in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a high need for dietitians and the staff seems really nice. With this need there are seemingly plenty of potential referral opportunities from the large personal training staff. Another "pro" is that the company seems to promote fairly quickly to higher levels of the company.

Cons

This position is 100% commission. I thought there may be a base salary but there is not. If you are not counseling someone then you are making no money at all. You receive a commission off of referrals, supplements and lab testing. You are expected to walk the floors and attain clients by asking them to seek you or they see you and are inspired to inquire about your services. Once client attained you provide a percentage of your earnings to the company. The longer you are with the company the more you get to keep for yourself and the less Life Time keeps.

Advice to Management

If you want more dietitians you Have to pay us a base salary. The education required for personal training is not comparable to that of a registered dietitian and therefore you cannot offer us the same "deal." If you do not change this you will always have a lot of unfilled dietitian positions.

Other Employee Reviews for Life Time Fitness

"Glad that's over with..."

Former Employee - Tennis Pro in Colleyville, TX
    Former Employee - Tennis Pro in Colleyville, TX

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful facilities; met some great members and some nice co-workers.

Cons

Overall sense of dour attitudes of employees; few smiles or eye contact when passing by.
    Low pay; If you want to hire and retain quality coaches, you must pay them accordingly, or they will not stay very long.
    Constant Intranet assessment testing and training (many of them were an insult to my intelligence).
    Poor DH leadership skills; poor communicative skills.
    High turnover rate.
    My DH showed up at our club once per week--he was DH at 2 separate clubs, hence a chaotic/dysfunctional working atmosphere; poor programming; he played one against the other-behind the back criticism; the other club he DH'd at he only worked for 9-2PM.

Advice to Management

Learn to recognize quality, credentialed employees and pay them or you'll always be stuck with a
    mediocre staff.

"I mean, it's all right."

Former Employee - Member Engagement Advisor in Warrenville, IL
    Former Employee - Member Engagement Advisor in Warrenville, IL

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're into 100% commission and they get you to drink enough of the kool-aid it's not a bad time. If you really do the math and don't get sucked into the rah-rah atmosphere things look a little different. There's an opportunity to do well if you never leave the club.

Cons

I don't even know where to start. Young inexperienced managers. Extremely cut throat. Integrity isn't exactly rewarded. 60-70 hour weeks. They send you to a certification at the corporate office to start that covers the basics, but good luck if you have any questions when you get back the club. That may just be my experience but getting someone to teach you the little things at the beginning is like pulling teeth. When I finally got rolling and became good at what I did I started to realize how terrible everyone I worked with was. Get ready to watch your back and protect your money. I made the mistake of being the nice guy and being a team player in the beginning. The gesture was not returned. People get pretty weird on a 100 percent commission. Especially in a shared territory. I couldn't take a day off without someone stealing my business, while getting the scraps because I was the new guy. The membership advisors pull the weight of the club and bring in 80% of the revenue, yet they're still seen as the lackies. I'd honestly like to forget the experience all together. Looking back now is almost giving me a migraine. Extremely unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Don't be a scumbag.