Life Time Fitness - Lifetime Fitness was a wonderful collection of coworkers and members who strove for self improvement | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Life Time Fitness

"Lifetime Fitness was a wonderful collection of coworkers and members who strove for self improvement"

Current Employee - Group Fitness Instructor in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Group Fitness Instructor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have ready and immediate openings for jobs, so opportunities are there. The club is also very clean.

Cons

Low salary for entry level workers, despite the standard rate of living in the surrounding area.

Advice to Management

There is no advice I could give. The management is amazing.

Other Employee Reviews for Life Time Fitness

1. "Deeply flawed corporate culture."

Former Employee - Member Services Team Member in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Member Services Team Member in Troy, MI

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as a Member Services Team Member, Troy, MI.
    -I loved the clients and a few of the co-workers in this job.
    -I loved the positive stories we would hear from clients who were succeeding in their health -and fitness journey.
    -I loved having a free gym membership for myself and a deep discount for my spouse.
    -I loved not having to worry about clothing since LifeTime has a strict uniform policy, and you get refunded for the cost of your uniform once you leave the company.
    -I loved the discounts on programs and services.
    -This location had a few really outstanding staff members in Operations, Engineering, Business Administration, and Personal Training (not the Department Head)

Cons

-Serious lack of training.
    -Asking questions and being a high-performing employee are both
    -Silly hiring process (all you need to do to get hired is memorize the corporate vision/mission).
    -Ridiculous scheduling practices (ex: you can/will be scheduled to work until 10pm one night and start at 5am the following morning).
    -Management does not want to manage.
    -Management forms a clique (think Mean Girls)
    -Bullying, intimidation, and public shaming is acceptable to most managers at this location
    -Lying to clients is acceptable at this location
    -Management never puts their staff first
    -No support from management with difficult clients
    -Shady-ish business practices resulting in a lot of unhappy clients
    -Total lack of communication between departments (ex: pool would be closed, but Aquatics wouldn't bother to tell anybody)
    -Lack of cooperation between departments (ex: employees would ignore radio calls; employees wouldn't help each other out if it "wasn't their job" to do so, etc)
    -Lack of respect for clients (ex: Personal trainers would not show up for appointments, General Manager would not call clients when he promised to do so, etc)
    -Lack of clear policies and procedures (p&p)
    -Many p&p were ignored or changed to suit employees' or managers' needs without consent from corporate (or informing other staff)
    -Managers would refuse to take client calls (and would yell at staff for asking them to pick up a call)

Advice to Management

I think that re-training for all managers would be an excellent start for this location. This is a toxic corporate culture and if LifeTime wants to maintain it's client base, I think they need to start over at this location. Also, quizzing employees on the Vision/Mission is not an acceptable form of performance review. The worst employees at this location are the ones that know the Vision and Mission the best; knowing it isn't living it. This company seems to be completely devoid of reward and recognition programs. This company would benefit from a culture change and should be encouraging high-performers instead of making them want to quit.

2. "Services are way overpriced!"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Burr Ridge, IL
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Burr Ridge, IL

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will have a nice gym membership for yourself.

Cons

Hours are ridiculous
    no comp membership for your spouse
    Services that you are expected to sell are ridiculously priced

Advice to Management

Make sure you have qualified trainers on staff before you sell training at 99.00 per hour.