LifeWatch - Struggling company with poor vision of the future in cardiac monitoring. Employees (all disciplines) spread too thin so | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for LifeWatch

"Struggling company with poor vision of the future in cardiac monitoring. Employees (all disciplines) spread too thin so"

Pros

Great place to jump in and get medical experience but probably not a place to make your career home or stay longer than 2 years.

Cons

LifeWatch struggles with internal customer service issues, device problems and reporting issues. While this is common in the industry as a whole, LifeWatch seems to have a higher error rate. Training is limited, so this is an ideal setting for those associates that can find answers and reach out for assistance with minimal direction...just pick up the phone and ask! This will be a pivotal year for any company in the cardiac monitoring industry, given the drastic swings in reimbursement.

Advice to Management

Payor contracts must be favorable for the sales team to succeed. Without Payors paying for services, how can the sales team be deeply penalized? The economy today allows for only a limited few to pay for services in cash.

Other Employee Reviews for LifeWatch

"Great start to medical devices...would not stay longer than 2 years here"

Pros

Strong, competitive salary, opportunities for large bonuses

Cons

Unstable company, constant threats from upper leadership. No stability

Advice to Management

none

2. "Good company, recently purchased"

Current Employee - Software QA in Rosemont, IL
    Current Employee - Software QA in Rosemont, IL

I have been working at LifeWatch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked at LifeWatch for nearly fourteen years, which should say something about my opinion right there. We are currently in the middle of a merger, but I believe the pros and cons apply to both LifeWatch and BioTelemetry.

* Great people. The overwhelming majority of my coworkers and managers have been rational, reasonable, and personable.

* Good compensation. The benefits array is actually really good, as I've learned from watching some of my friends poke away at the job market. And under the latest executive administration, there was a push to align better with market salary rates, so I can honestly say I'm very pleased with my current overall compensation package.

* Convenient location. I'm in the Rosemont headquarters office, and our location is right across from the airport, with immediate access to highways and trains.

* Sense of purpose. LifeWatch does heart monitoring services, and it's really uplifting to get the occasional story about how our service, or occasionally specifically one of our technicians, saved a life. You don't get that in a lot of jobs.

* Mobility within the company. The company has been really good with allowing people to move around within the company - I did this myself. Below the VP level, they're also rather good at promoting from within.

Cons

Most of the cons are just part of the package, but there are some particular items relevant to the ongoing merger.

* Schedule. Most departments are a normal 8-5 or a bit flexible, but we're a 24/7/365 facility, which means there are overnight shifts for technicians to keep working those ECGs, and on-call shifts for IT to support them. It's not really bad, it's just how it is.

* Terminations. Layoffs and firings aren't usually particularly frequent, but when they do happen, they can be very abrupt. The company needs to protect patient information, so they don't generally risk retaliation by terminated employees; if the company is letting someone go, they will usually be walked out of the building immediately after being notified, and someone else will be cleaning out their desk or office. It's harsh, but it's understandable.

That said...

* Communication. Communication wasn't really ever a strong point of this company, though that did significantly change under Dr. Rietiker and his team. There were town halls, a clear vision, and honesty about when there might be layoffs. It was very refreshing.

However, I can't say it's being maintained during the merger. Officially, we are now part of BioTelemetry. The communication about the details of that process has been hit or miss. There have been several rounds of layoffs, including the sudden loss of high-level managers, with no explanation or even notification from the transition team or C-suite. We've received emails about new organizational changes, but only the positives. In a situation like this, the communication about the negatives should be just as clear. It hasn't been as of yet, and it's been fairly unnerving.

Advice to Management

Please at least let us know when you're letting our indirect managers go. We don't need a lengthy explanation, but a heads-up would be nice, maybe even a "Sorry we had to". Mergers are hard, we know that, but there are ways to make them easier on us.