Linden Lab - Coming out of a transition period with exciting potential | Glassdoor
  1. "Coming out of a transition period with exciting potential"

in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Linden Lab

Pros

Lindens are without a doubt some of the most intelligent, caring, and fun individuals you'll ever have the pleasure of working with. I've never felt so welcome or felt so recognized for my contributions before. Second Life is a crazy, insane idea with crazy, non-straight forward problems to solve. TONS of room for development, learning, and implementing great software. I'm not too familiar with sr management as... it keeps on changing, but relationship and communication with immediate managers and team members is usually pretty open and relaxed. The benefits are great (compared to my previous gig - though admittedly, not in SF or this industry), and people are very flexible with when you work, as long as you get your work done. As an engineer there's also a lot of opportunity to make tremendous improvements, or horribly break the entire grid. I'm real excited with Rod coming on board as CEO. He brings a lot of good energy to the team, though whether or not he performs has yet to be seen. We've also hired a some very promising technical VPs who have the opportunity and (hopefully the ability) to offer the engineering teams som much needed direction.

Cons

I've had project management experiences at the lab that are either wonderful, or nonexistent. With the lack of technical management in the past, there's been a lot of hesitance from the engineers to step up and own projects or aspects of the system (which is kind of understandable because the system is very complicated and not easily owned by one person). As a result, though, it's sometimes difficult to find out... who to talk to about certain systems. The management crisis over the past year has been a real downer. We've gone from Phillip to M to our CFO acting as interim (who made a lot of tough decisions and probably saved the company), back to Phillip for a short burst of "OMG this is awesome" and fizzled out to "this isn't working", and now to Rod, on whose shoulders our collective fate lies. I've been real impressed with Rod so far, but as I said before, it's too early to tell how things will work out. The upper management changes and the subsequent changes in Linden culture as many of the old die hards finally move on, has a tendency to get people down. All of this change has sapped the energy of a lot of wonderful people. Hopefully all this has pretty much settled down, though. We'll see how these next two years pan out. Although I'm still optimistic that we can get some positive momentum going, each time a dear friend leaves it hurts that momentum.

Advice to Management

Trust your engineers. You have some of the best in the industry. Don't stifle creativity by trying to turn linden culture into a real company culture. Embrace the culture, let yourself relax, and think about your employees when you dictate what direction they should work in. Other than that, stay positive.

Linden Lab2011-03-08

"Unique employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Linden Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great working environment, with flexibility that only an established battled worn company in the bay area can provide.

Cons

A little too flexible at times, with some employees not operating at the level you would like your peers to operate at.

Linden Lab2017-08-02
  2. "Lots of good people, lots of horrible leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Linden Lab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some hard working people who were trying to do the right thing and ship a compelling project.

Cons

Exec leadership is inept beyond belief. No clue about the product they're in charge of or the industry they're a part of. Sansar had a chance to shine, but leaders who were too scared to make important decisions, constant pivots, and wasting too much time building unnecessary tech spelled it's doom. CEO was an old friend of the chairman of the board who got the job due to nepotism. CPO was useless.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves.

Linden Lab2019-11-01

Discover more reviews about Linden Lab.