LivingSocial - should have spent more time by the watercooler and not at my desk doing work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for LivingSocial

"should have spent more time by the watercooler and not at my desk doing work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment and co-workers are all really nice
Team leads are super helpful
Typical tech startup pros

Cons

Goals dont reflect vast differences in market assignments
Communication is terrible
Training is terrible

Advice to Management

1) Turn Gchat off and do your job
2) Use your head....when you demand quantity your reps don't care about quality
3) Look into some of your (hotshots) almost everyone cheats the system and cooks their numbers (see #2)

Other Employee Reviews for LivingSocial

"Great opportunity, but not what it once was..."

Current Employee - Manager In Ops in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager In Ops in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Now: great benefits, fun culture, relaxed work environment, super awesome people, brand recognition for future opportunities.

Cons

The sad reality (that should have been anticipated) is that this was not the place I joined. What was once a company that was founded on creativity and innovation has devolved to a focus on the bottom line. That creativity still exists for developers, but it's been completely sucked out of other departments.

It's not one thing that makes this environment difficult. It's the summation of a bunch of things. Each one of the things I'm listing below are managable and fine on their own for the most part, but together, it's made the benefits and the culture not worth it.

1. Our culture and core values used to drive EVERYTHING. Now they're distant memories that are called upon at whim, but don't really mean anything anymore.

2. The hours are unrelenting, long, and demanding. I have a hard time looking my people in the face because I've just become a delivery system for constantly bad news, with no relief in sight.

3. The expectations (performance and job scope) are constantly changing. Once you master one thing, things are completely changed for the sake of streamlining processes and making things better. But this has been happening for over a year. How can you set yourself up as a manager that people can trust if the system is always changing? You can only lean on the start-up/change thing for so long.

4. No mobility. Almost impossible to change departments. There used to be tons of opportunities, but as we've become more money conscious, those opportunities are non-existent. Even if someone leaves, they just close the position and don't backfill. They pile the extra work onto others.

5. I hate to say this, but everyone is leaving. I'm surprised that I'm mostly only seeing sales on here, because there's so much more to the company and everyone I know is feeling the same way -- "Get out now. This isn't where we were working before."

6. It's obvious that for some departments, they're doing a long, protracted layoff. They aren't firing anyone, but if anyone leaves, they're backfilled in another location that has lower overhead costs and lower expectations/requirements for the staff filling the same position.

7. Broken promises are huge here. Over-promising and under delivering has caused a lack of trust upward.

What it comes down to is that I've struggled with whether or not I wanted to leave. I have learned so much heree. I've had so many opportunities. But ultimately the benefits they wave at you, including unlimited vacation if you're salaried, is not worth it.

I hate the fact that I'm just tired. I do'nt want to come to work anymore. And i'm not sure my team wants to either.

Advice to Management

I don't really know. It was a great ride, but I'm not sure that there is any advice that can address my concerns. It's just sad.

2. "From YAY to BOO overnight........"

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at LivingSocial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working from home. Got to meet all kinds of local business owners. Felt like I was doing something good for the business owners as well as the customers.

Cons

Once new management came in, you could feel the culture changing overnight. No longer were you commended for any work, no matter how much you brought them in sales. New upper sales management was more willing to tell you reasons you would get fired than what you could do to work up through the organization.

Advice to Management

People just hate working there. Give them a reason to want to do well. Stop spending tens of thousands of dollars to hire a new position, and work with the people you have.