LivingSocial - LivingSocial has been a great place to start my engineering career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for LivingSocial

"LivingSocial has been a great place to start my engineering career"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible in terms of working in office or remotely. Facilities are nice and perks good. Co workers are all very talented and enjoyable to work with. Kinda like a big family.

Cons

Not a lot of guidance for new developers. Although it really depends on your team. Some tech leads are better than others and will make time to pair with you or review your code before you deploy.

Advice to Management

Management gets a lot of grief from the press, but people who work here genuinely want to make a successful product. Unfortunately, the outlook doesn't look so good for the industry in general. I would tell mgmt to drive decisions more with data and not get carried away with trends or the whims of the Sales team.

LivingSocial Response

Jun 5, 2014 – Team Member

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It’s great to hear that you heart your LS family as much as we do. We’ve heard you on training resources and are doing something about it: We’re... More

Other Employee Reviews for LivingSocial

"Great place to work, and beef up your resume!"

Former Employee - Merchant Services in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Merchant Services in Tucson, AZ

I worked at LivingSocial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, everyone is very nice.

Cons

It's a call center in Tucson, very rigid and strict on clocking in and out.

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed my boss, she was very insightful for my career growth. Great support!

"Struggling Company... Don't Believe the Hype!"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Specialist in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Specialist in Torrance, CA

I worked at LivingSocial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual Dress Code. You get benefits and 3 weeks worth of PTO day one of employment. They offer free beer and wine everyday after 3:30 to booze up the employees.

Cons

This place is crazy! LivingSocial is probably one of the most unethical companies I've ever had the displeasure of working for without a doubt. They have a "churn and burn" office environment and they are constantly getting rid of employees left and right for "poor performance" and other false allegations. This company was sued for not treating their employees well and they are still up to the same tricks. The training is horrible. It doesn't prepare you for the day-to-day at all. With the exception of like 1 manager, the rest of them are inexperienced, unprofessional kids who have never managed a team a day in their lives. They have no leadership skills and think being a good manager is having a pow wow every morning. The Director is disconnected from the job and is merely a puppet. He honestly controls mundane tasks and reads employee google chats and again, does nothing to motivate or lead the inside sales team to success. The goals are completely ridiculous and those who are hitting them are getting help from the managers. The pay is an absolute joke and as a sales person, you are never in a position to calculate your own commission. They basically tell you what it is. The stars pretty much have to align for you to get paid a decent check. The 70K annual salary that they put in your offer letter is NOT TRUE! Bottom line is everything depends on your market and the quality of the subscribers in the market you are given which sadly, as a sales person, we don't control. The favorites are given decent markets and deals and the others are left to starve. There is no loyalty given to employees and they are never that invested in keep their sales people which is why they are ALWAYS hiring. It's not because they are growing leaps and bounds. It's because since I've been there at the end of last year, more than half of the office has been given the boot. Overall, I would never recommend this company to anyone. Perhaps the DC office is better and maybe even working for the outside sales team could be better, but the inside sales office is a toxic, toxic place and I wouldn't even attempt to give this a try had I known what I know now.

Advice to Management

Honestly, good luck. Your subscribers are unsubscribing by the thousands, your employees are jumping ship, merchants absolutely hate working with you (less than 16% approval rating by merchants) and you are doing nothing to elevate your brand and business model. Look into what Groupon is doing... I know your employees are going to competitors and looking into them as a means to escape. Furthermore, I would say stop wasting money hiring people you are just going to end up firing. Your sales strategy of quantity versus quality doesn't translate with human capital. The more people you hire is just wasting your money because about 3 months in, people realize this job is horrible and the environment is toxic.