Location Labs - Good Experience | Glassdoor

"Good Experience"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Pros

Good work, lot to learn

Cons

No onsite opportunites thus limited ineteraction

Advice to Management

No onsite opportunites

Other Employee Reviews for Location Labs

"Awesome place to work, despite the acquisition"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Location Labs full-time

Pros

- Great people to work with!
    - Flat organization, everyone can (and is encouraged to) participate in products decisions.
    - Lots of opportunities for growth. Managers truly care about your career growth.
    - Company culture is great: there is a gaming club for playing board games and video games, a music club if you'd like to jam with your co-workers, ping pong tournaments, an on-site gym in the building, a foosball table, etc.
    - Good benefits, free snacks and drinks, Friday lunch.

Cons

- Since Avast acquired the company, there is a lack of transparency and communication of goals and decisions the company makes.
    - Budget cuts for parties and clubs.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and improve communication of goals to employees across the organization.

"Location Labs: Be the change you want to see in the world"

I have been working at Location Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top 3 Reasons to work at LL:
    Great People
    Great Culture
    Opportunities Abound

As an optimistic realist, I am convinced that you can find great people everywhere you go, especially if you look hard enough . LL is no exception to the rule, the difference is you don't have to look very far. This company is chalk full of awesome individuals, and the longer you stay, the more awesomeness you discover. Just to highlight this point, I have been here just over two years and I've discovered personally that...
    We have incredibly talented folks who write code by day and manage restaurants by night, we have world class athletes in every corner of the office, professional level musicians, dance instructors, sailors, artists, yogis, travel hackers, gamers, political activists, civil war re-enactors, community volunteers, skydivers, mountaineers, rafters, actors, bakers, mixed martial art masters, techies, trekies, deejays, a cohort of dog owners. We have moms and dads, intellectuals/philosophers, traditional dancers, aspiring pilots...we have Potter fans and ceramic potters, woodworkers, and accomplished photographers, we have film producers, foodies, and people who strive to make the perfect espresso every single day.

This diversity of interests and backgrounds breaths life into each day at work. It makes it easier to work on projects because I feel I am truly working with other unique individuals and not just cogs in a machine. We challenge each other, grow through our relationships, and share our passions every chance we get.

This leads me to my 2nd reason. Great culture. When I joined LL we were in an office with our core values written up on the wall. I will not list them all but "share your passion", "win as a phalanx" and "be great partners" are three that stand out to me as great contributors to a powerful work culture. Our employees take these values to heart and wear them on their sleeves day to day.

The win as a phalanx mentality dissolves any tension when potential conflict arises about which team is responsible for a specific task. We are one team. We share a common goal and we all do our part to contribute and lighten the load of our neighbor. We even have an award given out at the end of each quarter to celebrate this quality and recognize the efforts of an individual who has displayed time and again their willingness to step up and be a reliable team player.

Sharing passions is another key to LL's successful culture. Employees continuously host brown bag talks to share their interests with the company. Whether it's highlighting the latest technology that could help us build our products or an opportunity to support local non-profits, these talks give employees additional voice and a way to connect to eachother outside of project teams. LL also supports a number of employee-led clubs ranging from chocolate club (you can probably guess the activity here :)) to game night club to outdoor adventure club. Any employee can start a club and many do.

The resulting culture is one that encourages participation as your full self, builds strong relationships between employees, and rewards individuals who take initiative. We've all hear the phrase, "you get out of it what you put in." I think this applies to most things in life, and LL provides a great mini-ecosystem to demonstrate how it works.

Opportunities Abound. "Initiative Drives Meritocracy" is another core value at LL. In essence, the notion of underdog grit and working hard to improve your own situation is at the center of our company's success. If you are looking for a place where you can start in one position and quickly advance to a higher one, LL is your dream company, but only if you're willing to put in the work.

LL has put a lot of effort into developing positive manager employee relations that put the employee in the driver seat of their career growth. There are countless examples of people who have created their own positions at LL and found a way to increase their impact in the company, not by asking but by doing. If you see something can be improved or you have skills that can be applied outside of your immediate project or "lane", this is a place that encourages you to just do it, rather than following some formal process to get it done. There is a lot of trust put in employees and the result is people feel empowered to make the change they want to see, and this increased ownership often results in a better system and better product. If you choose to engage in this way, your extra work does not go unnoticed, rather it opens doors, and your manager is there to support this growth.

Overall I think of LL as an incubator for it's employees. The products are great and LL makes a huge contribution to the family security space in mobile, but I'd argue its greatest asset is the environment it provides for its employees to develop as humans and professionals. Whether you intern for the summer or dig in roots for 10 years, you'll find a supportive community and impressive resources to feed your aspirations.

Cons

There's always room for improvement. Top 3 things I'd change:

# of Women in the company
    # of Women in Leadership Positions
    Lingering Growing Pains

None of these three need significant explanation in my opinion.
    LL is aware and actively addressing the fact that it, like the majority of tech companies in the US, has struggled to employ a high percentage of women. I don't think there's an excuse to be made though, it's just a matter of setting some real goals and committing to achieving more balanced numbers. Same applies to women in leadership positions. You just have to commit and make it happen.

As for growing pains. LL was acquired by AVG and then AVG acquired by Avast within my two years. While I did not have much reference before the AVG acquisition, I was assured by many of my fellow employees that, there was little to no significant change that occurred. With the second acquisition, there were definitely more noticeable changes. I think this is common and I was not surprised to see a number of employees choose to exit after this event.

The lingering pains that I would like to see changed are mostly related to unifying and solidifying LL's place within the parent company Avast. I think it's a formidable challenge to unite a company that spans across the globe, and creating a single set of core values and one culture to apply to different locations is perhaps at odds with the very nature of culture. I think a culture is shaped by its participants and unless we find a way to integrate and cross pollinate more effectively between US and Prague offices, we should allow each site to establish their culture respectively.

Communication between upper management and the rest of the company is also something that has changed, obviously, because we have a new leadership team. I haven't decided how much of the pain is just adjusting to new leadership style versus actual gaps that are currently perceived gaps as messages are delivered in a different way and therefore not always received effectively, thus requiring additional clarification and extra attention.

Advice to Management

Core values are key. Don't let these get away from the leadership team. Employees at LL still take these seriously, but as new employees join we risk diminishing the strength of our community when our leaders are not supporting these values with the same energy. If we are to redefine our values, this should be done with enormous transparency and should include as much input as possible from existing employees as we are arguable the most invested in the outcome because we've seen the impact they can have.