Lockheed Martin - Great Culture, stepping stone | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

"Great Culture, stepping stone"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

LM provides strong support to grow and advance in your career, but there isnt much room for movement. Great people, challenging work, a lot of respect.

Cons

Even though they support growth there isnt much room to grow. You hit a ceiling pretty quickly. I've been requesting more responsibility but there isnt much going on.

Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin

"management is squeezing employees as hard as they can"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manassas, VA

Pros

The engineers you work with are mostly very smart, although there is a fair amount of dead weight left over from when the facility was an IBM site. This is a great place if you're right out of college and want the name on your resume. It's also great if you're an old timer from the IBM days, no matter how little you contribute, you provide "valuable experience" and are automatically a
    "top performer"

Cons

Management has no clue what is going on underneath them. I know someone who once wrote nothing but an insult of his manager for his annual performance self assessment. The manager didn't even notice. Once a year, we get one "performance and development report" and it has one rating on it with the vast majority of employees getting the exact same rating. I have had years when I have been told I am a top performer and am flat out better than my coworkers. I have also had years where I have accomplished very little of significant value. Every year I get the exact same assessment. Management decides what kind of employee you are in the first year you work here and is too arrogant to consider the possibility that their initial judgement might not be perfect.

Senior management has been cutting benefits annually to boost profit margins in the face of future funding reductions from government contracts. Annual raises have been pathetically small for the last three years, even though the wider industry for software engineers has not softened as much as for other defense industry employees. For employees with less than 10 years of experience, it is all but impossible to be promoted unless you are politically well connected. Strangely, older employees are still being promoted under the old IBM system of "reach x years of service and be promoted to level y." I guess budget constraints don't apply to members of the good ole boys club.

Advice to Management

You are losing more and more experienced employees due to your insistence on squeezing as much out of us as you can. Software Engineers aren't like other engineers in that you aren't just competing with Northrop Grumman and Boeing for our talents, but also with non-defense companies like Google, Microsoft, Facebook, and Hulu. If you continue to keep our careers essentially frozen due to "industry softness" more of us will leave for these newer companies that are not experiencing a slowdown, and do have opportunities for advancement. Right now you have a lot of engineers with 20+ years experience and a lot with less than 7-8 years of experience, with very few in between. Those of us with less than 7-8 years of experience won't put up with years of career stagnation and will seek other employment. Who will take over for the long time employees when they retire and all of the mid-career employees you should be grooming to replace them have left for greener pastures?

2. "good learning experience about manufacturing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

average pay,good benefits
    The Orlando location is still stuck in the 70"s and the employees do not want to train the new employees.

Cons

low pay for work and experience