Lockheed Martin - Looks good on a resume, not a great place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

"Looks good on a resume, not a great place to work"

Former Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD
Former Intern - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Looks good on a resume, well known name. Good for networking and if you can get on a contract where you aren't surrounded by LM people then it could be good. I had one manager who was really good, but ended up leaving LM.

Cons

All the upper management seems to care about is the business development side. They don't actually care about the technical work you do (if you are technical). They are all about winning contracts, but not necessarily fulfilling them. I really dreaded going into work everyday. Since it's a really big business you also have to deal with all of the red tape that comes with large organizations.

Advice to Management

Focus on the individual and the work they do.

Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin

"Very fulfilling career working on very challenging programs."

Former Employee - Logistics Manager in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Logistics Manager in Marietta, GA

Pros

On going training. Challenging programs to work on. Fast pace environment. Great benefits.

Cons

Working with Union workers and their anti company activities.

Advice to Management

Get better control on the Union crap ....through more supportive human resources personnel to advise first level management.

"LM Orlando Missiles and Fire Control (Sand Lake Location)"

Current Employee - Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We get every other Friday off, the pay is pretty good to begin with, there are many jobs where you don't have to work over the 40 hours on a regular basis, they pay for up to $7,500 per year in education expenses (they pay up to $10k per year if it is an engineering-related degree)

Cons

Depending on your manager, you may have a very strict working environment, there are some people who get selected as "favorites" and rise to the top quickly so if you don't have a high-level manager to champion you, your upwards career movement will go very slowly, people being hired in new can end up getting paid more than people who have been there with 5+ years experience and excellent performance raises (this means that they are not keeping up with the job market's salary increases for people who are still working there), they no longer offer a pension, BIG PROBLEM: Defense budget is being cut. We build missiles and other war-related hardware at this location, and we keep losing contracts. Rumor has it we are in for another big layoff. It's not a great time to try to get into the defense industry -- I personally will be getting out of it as soon as I finish my latest degree.

Advice to Management

Take employee complaints about their managers seriously and fire some of these horrible managers. These managers are making way too much money to be scaring off the younger generation. You will need our younger generation very soon -- and guess what? We won't be around any longer. We will have found a higher paying job elsewhere where the old managers don't treat us like dirt.