Lockheed Martin - Great company, but a little too large" | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

"Great company, but a little too large""

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Palmdale, CA
Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Palmdale, CA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training, benefits, retirement and learn how to use a lot of different computer systems. Also, cool environment to work in if you like defense/aeronautics.

Cons

Have to wait a long time (three years atleast) to get promoted, pretty much just follow directions and run reports, not much autonomy.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the younger employees as they will be your future - try to decrease turnover.

Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin

1. "Phone Interview Process"

Former Employee - Contractor in Hampton, GA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Hampton, GA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was living in Indianapolis and my manager was in Washington, DC who interviewed me over the phone and made sure I recieved all paperwork to bring me on board for a contract job in Hampton, Georgia.

Cons

This was the first job in my life which I was paid the highest salary in my life on a weekly bais and I loved it.

Advice to Management

Management took the initiative and professionalism to see the phone interview process from start to finish and I take my hat off to them. The entire process was real smooth.

"Lots of work with little recognition and highly competitive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

In spite of a very negative working environment in the Eagan, MN location, there were some positive aspects:

* Diverse assignment options in some positions
    * Great career experience opportunities if planning to move to another company
    * Adequate compensation package
    * Excellent relocation opportunities if desired
    * 9/80 work week (alternating Fridays off; 9hr work day, 8hr on working Friday)

Cons

The announcement of the facility closure in March 2013 left a pretty sour taste in the employees' mouths, but it might have actually been an improvement over the attitude of employees leading up to the closure announcement since people naturally seemed less concerned with performance. The facility closure was very poorly managed a did not do enough to help employees to find a new role within or outside of the company. The stay-on package was not equitable. Both the pre-announcement and the post-announcement periods had a number of issues:

* Very competitive and untrusting work environment
    * Little recognition of extra effort
    * Exclusive, cliquish culture
    * Generally non-competitive compensation structure
    * Advancement to leadership positions clearly linked to age rather than abilities / accomplishments
    * Merit-based pay increase and performance review process is laughable
    * Extreme office politics, among and especially within business areas
    * Very poor senior management

Advice to Management

Reward performance. Promote from within and based upon performance and loyalty, rather than personal relationships. Create a more friendly and trusting work environment. Recognize the need for work-life balance. Place a higher value on innovation and novelty in technology and process management. Do not discriminate based upon age. Get in touch with the needs and expectations of the 'new' workforce that will replace the soon-to-retire employee base. Scrap the LDP program; it is expensive, promotes attrition (among participants and non-participants) and ultimately yields little benefit vs the financial commitment of the company. Abandon the so-called "one MS2" concept. There is too much history and animosity among the site employees, especially the "old timers".