Lockheed Martin - Good company | Glassdoor

"Good company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hanover, MD
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hanover, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of career opportunities and training and programs for career paths.

Cons

It is hard for employees that do not work on a day-to-day in a Lockheed Martin facility to take full advantage of all the benefits that are available.

Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin

1. "Well organized internship program."

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Lockheed Martin as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Internship program is well organized. People and mentors are very helpful and open.

Cons

Government contracting isn't my cup of tea. Working on an Air Force base is a pain, required a security clearance, lots of on-site security.

"Great place to begin"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lockheed Martin had a very good program called ELDP which was great for obtaining breadth and learning a lot of new technologies and domains. Additionally, being in ELDP, Lockheed will pay for your full grad degree, up to a pretty high maximum.
    Lockheed has a lot of very engaging government contracting programs, it may take a few years of maneuvering, but you could find a very interesting and enjoyable job at Lockheed.

Additionally, Lockheed takes care of a lot of there people. Especially if you have the right set of managers, you could easily stay at Lockheed your entire career.

Cons

The pay for performance structure seems to be slightly broken, and during uncertain times it is very difficult to get a promotion, even if you exceed all of the requirements. Additionally, a large portion of the developers in the company are being moved to a services pay ledger which will pretty much freeze any pay increases that you were expecting in the next 5 years.

ELDP has been significantly modified, so it is not nearly as attractive as it was before. For example, when I started my master's degree Lockheed agreed that they would pay for the full degree as long as I worked for them at least a year after the degree. 1 year into my masters degree they changed this requirement to 2 years. Additionally, when I first started at Lockheed their health insurance was quite affordable, in my 5 years it has gone up over 400%. My yearly pay raises barely make up for these increases.

Advice to Management

It won't be long before a lot of employees realize that if they want their next promotion and their next pay increase, they have to leave the company. Additionally, the 2 year requirement to pay a degree is unreasonable, especially for employees that were already working on their degrees when this policy changed.