Lockheed Martin - Cog in a machine | Glassdoor

"Cog in a machine"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Rockville, MD
Current Employee - Team Leader in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good medical insurance plan. Makes sense for a huge company.

I took work home occasionally, but I did that for myself. There was never pressure to work outside the 40-hour work week, so that's a pro for people with families.

Cons

Maybe the experiences are different when you were hired by the company proper and not absorbed as part of a company that got purchased by them, but I never got the feeling upper management cared about us. It's hard to keep personal morale up with that kind of environment.

I thought it was silly that our internal upper management was forced to jump through all the hoops of LM's annual review process, when it was never made clear by any management - ours or LM's - how we could work better, individually or as a team, to increase productivity and be promoted and/or get raises.

Not sure if this only applied to us "stepchildren" but I was a team leader and was required to provide feedback on my team members' work. One of our lower management bosses that was handling annual reviews for those staff said she had to change my ratings because there was a specific # of people who could be ranked at the highest level of merit and therefore those who weren't at that level weren't eligible for the best raises. While I realize that's standard in corporate, I did not anticipate this and got out there as soon as I could.

Advice to Management

If you're going to spend the money and effort to take over other companies, you should do your job and get to know the people who are now working for you, or they'll leave.

Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin

1. "Great company but the industry is declining"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Moorestown, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Moorestown, NJ

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The hours are very flexible. The people are great to work with. The benefits are very good and the pay is competitive for the industry.

Cons

There are limited opportunities for growth because the workforce is shrinking and the job opportunities are not readily available, making it hard to move about and progress. There have been lay-offs every year for the past few years, which have diminished employee moral.

Advice to Management

Management could do a better job retaining top talent, and not letting important team members leave the company without so much as attempting to match offers from other companies. Also, the rolling lay-offs are damaging to employee moral. It would be better to right size and be done with it.

2. "N/A"

Current Employee - ComSec Equipment Logistics Analyst in Stafford, VA
    Current Employee - ComSec Equipment Logistics Analyst in Stafford, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

LMCO is a good company to work for

Cons

I have nothing to comment on

Advice to Management

None