Lockheed Martin - Not a very nice place | Glassdoor

"Not a very nice place"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big environment means better chances to change assignments.

Cons

Too much paperwork. Indifference to workers.

Advice to Management

Hard to change such a big place.

Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin

1. "A great company that offered challenging job opportunities."

Former Employee - Operations Director in Las Cruces, NM
    Former Employee - Operations Director in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company gives people the opportunity to advance in their skill area. I was promoted to positions of great responsibility over my 20 year career. My managers were always supportive of my needs.

Cons

It is tough to break into top level management positions. Promotion can be difficult for many employees although not necessarily for me personally.

Advice to Management

Get to know the people that are working for you. People respond tp personal recognition vice certificates of appreciation.

"Typical of a large company. Your job stability depends on a bunch of elementary schoolers in Washington, DC."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large Company. Decent benefits. East Orlando traffic is very reasonable. Very flexible with work time. Good work/life balance. Large company makes finding other opportunities better, though that is subject to your supervisors' approval.

Cons

Abysmal growth opportunity. It's easy to get comfortable at your position and let your career stagnate for decades to come. Forced rankings. Too much bureaucracy. Very hierarchy-based, discussion is encouraged, but good luck on making real meaningful changes to existing infrastructure/processes. Managers tend to make a lot of decisions with no real engineering basis at all. Your direct managers are generally pretty good, but higher level management can be a real tough nut to crack. Finally, in the last 7 years, there have been layoffs every single year throughout the company, so if you're looking for stability, this is not where you'd want to go, especially considering Congress is so polarized these days.

Advice to Management

Mid-level managers, keep up the good work. High level managers need to listen to their lower level employees more. They are after all, the real workhorse of the company that do most of the real engineering work.