Lockheed Martin - It's a big company with a big company feel. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

"It's a big company with a big company feel."

Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Crystal City, VA
Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Crystal City, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of job opportunities and chances for upward mobility. They're also very diversified and have locations all around the world.

Cons

The healthcare benefits are subpar compared to other companies. Employees typically shoulder 25% of the cost of their healthcare plans, which is a lot when compared to just over 10% at other leading competetors. However, if this is what is necessary in order to pay people better wages, I guess it's a fair trade.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin

1. "Pay is good, management not so much."

Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can't complain about the pay, wages are set by the Area Wage Determination (AWD) which is determined by the federal government. Hours worked were very flexible, although I believe this was due to my immediate manager, and not due to the company as a whole.

Cons

Benefits are too expensive, even though AWD allocates an additional $3-something to pay for benefits, I was losing about 40% of my paycheck to insure my family of 3. Information about what was going on was impossible to find, everything I heard was based on the local rumors. Seemed like the company was only concerned about their overall profits.

Advice to Management

One, let your employees know what is going on, if you are planning lay offs, say so, don't just lead everyone on and say that you are trying to get work and that you need to "live within your means". We know this, and it's hard to live within your means when you take our means away from us.

Two, stop it already with the upper management, you have too much, no wonder you can't get work, you have too many salaries to pay. I know that just in my building alone, there were something like 4 tiers of bosses above me, maybe more, and even those had their own sub-bosses, and side-bosses. Too much micro management.

Three, I know that you are a business, and you need to make profits, but your workload decreased by a large percentage, yet you still were able to make something like 23% in profits, that's a bit much, how about spreading the wealth a little bit instead of laying everyone off to pad your own pockets a little bit more.

Four, practice what you preach, you shove all of this act ethical crap down our throats, yet you turn around and do the exact opposite. Like charging the customer hours for us to have meeting on how to cut costs and save money, which solely benefits you. How about passing those savings on to the customer so that they will continue to give you work instead of going to a competitor who can do the same thing for 25% of the cost.

2. "Great place for college students to get experience, as long as you're in the right department"

Former Intern - Missiles and Fire Control in Orlando, FL
    Former Intern - Missiles and Fire Control in Orlando, FL

I worked at Lockheed Martin as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, looks great on a resume, lots of responsibility and opportunities to prove your value, corporate environment culture, company promotes and hires from within. Groups of interns would often eat lunch or go out together outside of work.

Cons

Highly dependent on your department, you may have lots of monotonous duties (many computer science and systems engineering). Lots of information is sensitive in nature but appropriate confidential/proprietary training is not always given.

Advice to Management

Administer appropriate confidential/proprietary information training to those without secret clearances, at the beginning and during exit interviews.