Lockheed Martin - Good first job, but maybe not the best long-term career decision | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

"Good first job, but maybe not the best long-term career decision"

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Orlando, FL

Pros

Good first job with fair compensation right out of school. The nine by eighty (9 work days x 80 hours) work week is a definate plus that gives you time to have a life outside of your job. And finally, it is a company that I am proud to work for.

Cons

Many of the promotions are handled on a tenure basis and not necessarily on the quality and quantity of your work. This is especially true for employees that have been around for a few years and want to take the next step, but don't have 5+ years under their belts yet.

Advice to Management

Understand that the only reason retention is a problem for the younger generation is the fact that HR limits our compensation and career growth based on our tenure and not the quality of the work we put forth.

Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin

"Undecided."

Current Employee - Software Engineer Staff in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Staff in Omaha, NE

Pros

Lockheed Martin is a large company and therefore there is a lot of opportunity. There are diverse career fields with an opportunity to work on diverse programs. There is an opportunity to work in several geographic locations, particularily on the East coast and in California.

Cons

My experience is tempered in that LMC at my location is actually quite small, and therefore suffers from the problems that small companies have. Managment at my location is poor. Too much drama in the program. No one communicates. Subcontractors are in all the critical positions; LMC personnel are not in a position to make decisions. Hence low morale and high turnover. LMC as a corporation stresses that education and training is very important, but at my location there is no budget for training and there is very little opportunity for either unless it is done on your personal time.

Advice to Management

Make more LMC programs available to all LMC locations.

2. "Lockheed Martin"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Planner in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Planner in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

stability during bad economic times and flexibility with time off. you can basically come and go on your own schedule as long as you work your 40 hours. we were also on the 9x80 schedule so having every other Friday off was a huge bonus.

Cons

slow advancement and learning because of size. there's a lot of pettiness and politics going on with the longer term employees.

Advice to Management

do a better job of keeping the top performers and letting go the poor ones.