Lockheed Martin - I used to be disgusted...now I try to be amused. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

"I used to be disgusted...now I try to be amused."

Current Employee - Computer Specialist in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Computer Specialist in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

So many cool projects, so little time! Honest, if you can find a good manager who can keep you in charge numbers for projects that interest you, you will never be bored. And it's not all missiles and airplanes and shoot-em-out-of-the-sky stuff. You can hold your head high no matter what your politics are. You can be as intellectually challenged as you want to be.

Cons

After a while the paperwork/time accounting starts to get to you. And lately it's getting harder and harder to find the magic charge numbers to justify your existence. Did I mention ethics training? The buildings (in the Bay Area, anyway) are drab and the people dress to match them! Women are few and far between, BTW. But on the flip side, the're wicked smaht :-)

Advice to Management

Oh, well. That's like asking a cat to give advice to a dog. "Keep on herding, you're doing an awesome job.."? Really. You are dealing with engineers. Watch "Office Space". Don't make us do paperwork. Understand where our interests lie and help us find work in those areas.

Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin

1. "Best for early career"

Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer Staff in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer Staff in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Lots of diversity of projects
    Early career people have opportunities to move around
    Can work on exciting projects
    Has decent reputation
    Corporate Management seems OK

Cons

Later career people get over looked for assignments
    Jobs "eliminated" for high level, high paid employees
    Division Management can be short sighted
    Rating system leaves alot of disgruntled employees

Advice to Management

Overhaul Performance Review System
    Don't forget about your older employees
    Corporate Management needs to hold Division Management accountable

"Enjoyable internship experience, but not guaranteed that I'll return"

Former Employee - Intern in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

I was one of 50 interns at Lockheed Martin Space Systems summer 2010. In speaking with many of them, I'll point out that our experiences were not the same. I don't believe one could generalize the "Lockheed Martin internship experience." I know of interns whose managers brought them in w/o a clear assignment in mind. My experience was quite the opposite. My manager knew exactly what he recruited me for, and the work was lined up for me the moment I walked in. In fact, I couldn't truly finish it all over the course of the summer, but I think that was expected. It was technical, required courses from my major (EE), and was certainly "real." By that I mean it was integrated into the larger project of my group, and not tossed aside after I left.

My experience was a good one:
    -good pay
    -good work
    -good location
    -friendly people to work with
    -great manager
    -opportunities to learn (they sent me to philly for training!)
    -opportunities to network

Cons

Here's the tough part: I was only so-so on the work by the end of the summer. That was due to the nature of the group in which I interned. I think a lot of work is like that at Lockheed, or any large (defense) company. You have to hunt to get the interesting stuff.

other cons
    -cafeteria food was meh
    -they'll bring me back for more blah work

Advice to Management

Honestly, I wasn't there long enough to get much insight into this. I sat in on an executive meeting (another perk of the intern program) and even that seemed to go well.

If anything, it's how Lockheed recruits from the outside that needs work. The HR staff was poor when it came to timely communication. There's nothing you can do from the outside to help this.