Lonely Planet - Appalling treatment and business practices | Glassdoor

"Appalling treatment and business practices"

I worked at Lonely Planet for more than a year

Pros

Employees are generally kind and helpful. Brand is well known outside US.

Cons

LP has fired multiple teams of people over the last several years with no notice and no explanation. Imagine waking up to check your company Slack and email only to discover that it no longer works. That is how LP does business. There is no regular communication from senior management. They do not communicate to employees a vision, a strategic plan, objectives, or goals. They do not provide employee reviews or any written...

Advice to Management

Hire a professional HR department and empower the HR VP. Get training on standard business practices.

Lonely Planet2016-10-13

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great and always improving"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Lonely Planet full-time for more than a year

Pros

As an engineer, I have a voice in the company and the direction of our product. We are free to work remotely at will. There is a collaborative culture and great camaraderie. Focus on continuous deployment and high quality work with a leading edge tech stack. Competitive compensation.

Cons

Benefits around time-off could use standardization across the company, which would benefit the US locations quite a lot instead of meeting regional minimums in each location, which hurts US employees comparatively, and communicates a lack of value for, and lack of thought into, employees' standards of living. Remote teams are rarely connected face to face, below the senior level.

Advice to Management

Proactively seek to create consistency & intentionality around employee compensation, time off, and internal connection & culture.

Lonely Planet2019-06-14

Lonely Planet Response

June 18, 2019

We appreciate you taking the time to leave this review. It's encouraging to hear that you value the culture at Lonely Planet, as maintaining a positive working environment is something that is really important to us. We encourage you to get in touch with someone from the HR ...

2. "Moving towards a product driven culture"

Current Employee - Engineering Team in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Lonely Planet full-time for more than a year

Pros

LP is finally investing in the digital product and digital in general. Lonely Planet has been such an excellent brand for over 45 years. It's about time we catch up to where our users are with technology.

Cons

Change, change, change! (not really a con, just can be difficult at times). We have had our fair share over the past year for the right reasons. Things are leveling out but expect to hit a little corporate turbulence over the next 6 months.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in technology and digital product. Great digital product gets users to become brand ambassadors and advocates. Let your content get them in the door, let great digital product keep them there and get them to return. Word of mouth will always be the most powerful marketing tool.

Lonely Planet2019-06-24

Lonely Planet Response

July 1, 2019

Thanks for leaving this review. It's great to hear your positive views on the direction of our business. We really value employee input, so we encourage you to share any ideas with your manager and team. - Lonely Planet HR Team

Discover more reviews about Lonely Planet.