Long & Foster - Poor management, this company has the potential to be so much better...disappointing | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Long & Foster

"Poor management, this company has the potential to be so much better...disappointing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PTO and relatively good pay

Cons

No training! I started expecting a formal training. I had no experience in insurance, but I had a bachelors degree. The management is uneducated so they think having a bachelors degree means you are smart enough to start a job and just know everything without training. They just throw out false gestures like, if you need you can come to me. Well with no training, you can assume I needed lots of help. So much that I could not find someone who was available to answer every question I had. If you have no training you will have more questions than you are able to remember.

They basically just gave me mountains of things to do and then complained when I could not get it all done in a "timely manner." I was provided with none of the basic things I needed to do my job. I didn't even know I needed it until my coworkers, not my boss, informed me I did. How does one ask for things they don't know they need?! They set me up for failure. Now months later they had a coworker come in to train me basic things I should have known months ago, because the boss of the other team decided to. Once again my direct boss did nothing. And the person that is her boss is the most unprofessional person in the world. I have never worked somewhere before that it is acceptable for you boss to curse people over the phone at his desk, and nothing happens to him.

They wonder why there is such a high turnover rate. It's not the employees, its the management that prevents anyone from doing their job successfully. The clients know L&F stinks as well because they never get called back. This is a terrible poorly organized company.

Advice to Management

Hire some bosses that know what they are doing

Other Employee Reviews for Long & Foster

1. "Highly professional environment- top rate people running company."

Current Contractor - Realtor in Bethesda, MD
    Current Contractor - Realtor in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Long & Foster as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Highly professional.... one stop shopping for clients. Mortgage Co. Terrific Insurance Co. Excellent management. High degree of ethics.

Cons

Some office are way too big.

Advice to Management

Get an office in Olney, MD!

2. "Unable to foresee and cope with the downturn in the real estate market."

Former Employee - Branch Secretary in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Branch Secretary in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Long & Foster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The local management and the company were always trying to increase sales thru agent incentives and training. State of the art offices, with top of the line computers, and graphic design and printing equipment.

Cons

Support staff wages were stagnate for at least 2 years, with no bonuses or profit sharing and there were staff downsizing and layoffs and branch closings.

Advice to Management

Remember that is the support staff that help agents sell.