Longs Drug - Working there beat me down, now I am rebuilding my pride. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Longs Drug

"Working there beat me down, now I am rebuilding my pride."

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Reno, NV
Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Reno, NV

Pros

I was able to work hard to become part of the team and earn hours to become a Pharmacy Technician. In truth I was paid the least and my new manager wouldn't teach me anything or allow me to do my job well and made me work the most out of all of the staff. I was stuck in the front typing up prescriptions and was threatened to be written up if I went into the back to find the right manufacturer for the medication I was typing the prescription for. I was only allowed to ask the pharmacist what manufacturer to use and he didn't want me to take the time to look up the information for me. I use to be able to do it but he was the new big bad boss that had to have his say about everything. In short the lines got long, patient's were not helped in a timely manner and I got yelled for not having my work done when he wouldn't give me the correct information.

Cons

My boss would put me down all of the time because he knew that he could and get away with it.

Advice to Management

Don't keep bad bosses around. Make sure your employees are treated with respect.

Other Employee Reviews for Longs Drug

1. "I wish Longs was more like it was in the "good old days""

Current Employee - Customer Service in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Fresno, CA

Pros

I like the people I work with in my store. There is a chance of advancement if you want to work for it. It's a great place for students as they want mostly part time people and are willing to work around school schedules.

Cons

Low employee morale regarding expectations of corporate office. Also, Longs used to be an employee friendly company to work for and now, not as much. Employees are in a constant state of a rushed feeling of not being good enough.

Advice to Management

Give stores more payroll dollars or lower expectations.

2. "Longs, the S.S. Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in San Diego, CA

Pros

Longs has the feel of a local, community pharmacy but the financial backing and resources of a large chain. A lot of the customers have been with Longs for 20+ years. The pharmacy is stocked by AmerisourceBergen (who do a very solid job) and the company provides reasonable technology to the pharmacy team with which to operate.

Cons

The technology, while reasonable, is getting out-dated. Some of the software usability is lacking and more complex tasks cannot be performed. Other chains have fixed these problems and allow, for instance, phones to be disabled from within the computer software. There is no useful place to leave notes regarding patients for other staff members and often times, we are at a loss to explain to customers why certain mishaps occur.

Advice to Management

Longs senior management needs to realize that they ARE NOT as big as a CVS or Walgreens and get back to being a pharmacy patients feel is part of their community, not a corporate fixture sucking their wallets dry. Longs is trying to streamline operations and cut staff accordingly, but cutting staff only works when its being made up for by using technology to increase productivity. This is not happening. Lines are instead becoming longer, prescriptions take longer, and there is little to no individual care being provided. The staff is just too busy. Because Longs is small for a corporate chain, the resulting loss in business will put a severe dent into finances in the long run. Currently, investors see the stock as a gold mine with the way senior management is trimming the budget, but this will be a very short-lived victory.