Loomis - Management Unfamiliar with Basic Business/HR Practices | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Loomis

"Management Unfamiliar with Basic Business/HR Practices"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Loomis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with some great people at Loomis--driver/guards, cashroom, coinroom and vault employees, mechanics. That's pretty much the only reason I stayed as long as I did.

Cons

General: Extremely toxic work environment which was not only tolerated by management but propagated by them. Once in-house HR officer was forced into retiring, there was no outlet whatsoever for employees to express discomfort with the hostile, divisive attitude of their supervisors.

At least one promotion was promised to a candidate before interviews with several other (arguably better qualified) candidates had even been interviewed. That candidate told everyone he already had it, leaving his coworkers to go into their interviews knowing they weren't going to get the job.

Department-specific: CMS: Lack of training and reference materials (neither digital nor hard-copy) made Loomis an excessively difficult place to be a new employee and to ensure existing employees are all on the same page. It is a fast-paced environment requiring a great deal of customer-specific knowledge. Rather than maintaining a database of this information for employees to refer to when processing a new account or one they have not processed in some time, the standard behavior is to ask someone else. Because procedures and expectations are never written down and only occasionally verbalized, the individual answering the question may or may not have the most accurate information and may be frustrated at having to answer the same questions over and over. When meetings are called because too many processing errors are occurring, employees are reminded to ask questions if they're not sure, rather than just guessing--and later publicly berated for asking those questions, often with the accompanying phrase, "You should just know that." Which is neither helpful nor fair, considering that the information is not recorded in any form, save the odd unlabeled Post-it with a string of digits.

There is no system of regular performance review. Not only is there no recognition of individuals' improvements and successes, when an employee has not met expectations, he or she is given vague criticism such as "You're too slow" or "Make better decisions." Never once was I given (nor did I witness anyone else being given) a measurable, quantifiable goal by which to gauge my own performance. No "here's how you're doing now; let's set this goal for improvement and revisit in a week/a month/three months/etc."

Advice to Management

Promote based on qualifications to do the job; not longevity in current position, not performance of current job, but demonstrated competence in the skills required for the new position.
Maintain a database of customer needs and appropriate procedures for cash processing and appoint one or two people to update this database and ensure staff are aware of changes.
Ensure employees know where they can get information and raise concerns about issues normally brought up with HR.
Encourage managers to set clear expectations for given tasks; if these goals are not being met, discussion with individual employees about what can be done to improve might be an appropriate response.
Treat all of your employees with dignity. Hold supervisors accountable for doing the same.
Make sure your managers all get at least minimal management training: on the basics of professionalism; on acceptable ways to interact with employees; on the proven superiority of positive reinforcement over punishment as a source of motivation. Being a good driver or good teller does not mean that someone will be good at managing people. Your business will continue to struggle as long as your workforce feels like their work is not valued.

Other Employee Reviews for Loomis

"Disgusted"

Current Employee - Driver/Guard in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Driver/Guard in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Loomis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At least it's a job.

Cons

No respect, everyone out for themselfs, the only thing that is consistant is change.They will tell you one thing to your face and turn around and do another. Management has little or no knowledge of what happens in the feild, it is run like the Army with a drill Sergant.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, ask us for our opions and the best way to do things we are the ones in the field.Respect us instead of putting us down all the time.

"Very long hours with their way or the highway attitude."

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Loomis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like hard work that makes the day go by fast this is the job for you.

Cons

Set in their ways. Suggestions are not taken seriously by upper management.

Advice to Management

Be a yes man.