Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores - A very passive company in fixing management problems | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores

"A very passive company in fixing management problems"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sutherlin, OR
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sutherlin, OR

Pros

Great pay and core system in store

Cons

Advancement opportunity lacks and they dont fire people they should

Other Employee Reviews for Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores

"Average Technical Support Job - Play by the rules and you will do fine"

Current Employee - Helpdesk/Support in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Helpdesk/Support in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Salaried employees get "Loves Shares" which you get to cash out at 7 years of employment - on Average worth of that is about $30,000. Great people (co-workers)

Cons

Salaries are average. Management is lackluster at best and most of the time is only out for themselves. Corporate office is run very much like a "mom and pop shop". Its more about who you know than who you are. Bonuses are chosen arbitrarily based on how much your manager likes you personally.

Advice to Management

Treat employees fairly - be aware that they have a life and are not always able to devote their existence to the company 24/7. Training is key! Provide some training to your employees. Keep an eye on the managers under you...they tend to throw employees under the bus to get some credit for themselves.

"Bait and Switch"

Former Employee - Manager in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Amarillo, TX

Pros

Good benefits package.... 4 day work week. If I hadn't got a better job offer, I probably would have stayed. Tom Love seemed like a nice man.

Cons

The training was ridiculous. I think whoever put together the computer based training didn't like using spell check. My District Manager seemed to show up once every 6 weeks despite living within 10 miles of the store and his visits were meaningless. This is the guy that is supposed to be guiding my career there. I was told I would work an occasional night or weekend. That quickly turned into all nights and every weekend. I think most of the crew members have some sort of criminal record and truckers aren't too delightful to work with. Overall, it is a horrible environment that is perpetuated by poor recruiting. They seem to believe that they can only attract a very low level of employee and are satisfied with that. It is just lazy recruiting. Finally, when I left, it was like pulling teeth to get my last two paychecks.

Advice to Management

Put some pride into your training programs and actually look at them before you roll them out to the company. Get more self esteem and believe you can hire a higher quality crew member. Perhaps raising their pay to above minimum would pay off with fewer cash shortages and less inventory shrinkage? It is very easy for a cashier to lose hundreds of dollars on a shift. Are you going to trust that job to someone with a criminal record and a GED? Currently, the answer is YES!