Lowe's - Seasoned employee | Glassdoor

"Seasoned employee"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Avon, IN
Current Employee - Department Manager in Avon, IN

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wide variety to departments to learn and work with. Helping customers to remodel or build the house of their dreams.

Cons

In-store training is underdeveloped, need to help out across the store can be overwhelming at times. The more you know, the more you are used in other departments.

Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's

"Proceed with Caution !"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Lowe's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fortune 50 Corporation
    International Company
    Financially Sound
    Vast Market Exposure

Cons

Management required to work 14-16 hour days consistently. No Work/ Life Balance !
    Concerned more for customers than their employees.

Advice to Management

Corporate Executives do not know what is going on in the stores...Realize Talent when you have it !

"Lowe's has changed how it compensates Sales Professionals. Pretty standard Retail Company now."

Current Employee - Kitchen and Bath Projects Specialist in Hadley, MA
    Current Employee - Kitchen and Bath Projects Specialist in Hadley, MA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First, let me state that I'm a Kitchen and Bath Designer here. Probably the best job in the building. I get a desk, a personal computer and most of the staff here has no idea how to perform tasks related to my position (including management). That being said, it is a comfortable work environment for me. Heated in Winter, cooled in Summer. Good bebefits including 401K, sick and vacation time plus holiday pay. Fairly laid back atmosphere and strong attention to the customer experience. Infrastructure improvements such as WIFI, iPhones for employee use and a "Facebook" style social networking system for employees called "Connections" are all Pros.

Cons

In the middle of a massive shift in direction and culture within organization. Stripped away commissions and spiffs for "Specialist" tiered Sales People has created a rift between the largest position category (outside of Part-Time help) and upper management. Attrition extrememly high at all positions. New direction for organization without a clear understanding of how to get there communicated to stores. For me, my position at Lowe's was thought of as a career where I felt valued. Now it feels like just a job. I used to recommend Lowe's to friends as a great place to work. This no longer happens.

Advice to Management

Reinstate incentives package for Specialists. Seek input from store level associates before instituting massive, high risk change.