Lowe's - great! | Glassdoor

"great!"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention and Safety Manager in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Loss Prevention and Safety Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is going upward!

Cons

I currently have no cons about my company.

Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's

1. "Easy Job, Crap Hours"

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Abilene, TX
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Abilene, TX

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Easy job. Everyone was nice.

Cons

The hours sucked. I was part time and only got 2 days a week (sat & sun) for 8 hours both days. I only got this job to not be bored while my husband was at work during the week. Hes military so I only really see him on weekends and when I explained this to them they said they only needed me for weekends.

Advice to Management

Dont shove the required amount of hours you give someone into two days then give them the rest of the week off. Spread the hours out.

"Not a good experience"

Former Employee - Flooring Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Flooring Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Lowe's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Being a warehouse, there are a lot of employees around to talk to and make friends with.

-You can keep yourself busy for a full shift; time feels like it’s passing more quickly

-you can learn a lot of valuably home improvement info.

-rotating schedule provides flexible hours.

-innovative. They ARE trying to move into the future by implementing the use of iphones that have many useful features.

Cons

-no accountability whatsoever. Associates can get away with not pulling orders, for installs no less, leaving it to fall on another unsuspecting associate to pull the morning of the install date. Management doesn’t care because, in the end, the job gets done.

-management does not lead by example. A zone manager will walk the entire length of the store to find someone else to cut a piece of wire so they won’t have to.

-HR is useless. Normally you would think of the HR department as an entity to serve the employees. At Lowes, this is not the case. HR’s primary goal is to protect the company from the employees. It is completely backwards.

-extremely understaffed. Get ready to be stretched as thin as possible. Management will not properly staff departments because they are too cheap.

-it’s retail. Working with homeowners is as aggravating as it gets

-Always low on supplies (shrink wrap, tape, paper etc.)

-crappy pay. Got a 16 cent raise one year.

-management has no problem whatsoever lying to your face.

Overall, the company expects you to work your butt off for pennies. As a former associate told me “never have I worked so hard for so little.”

Advice to Management

-enough with the propaganda. The majority of associates can see through the veil of lies spewed to them and it DOES effect the morale

-Reward associates who put forth exceptional effort. Why should i work my butt off, when someone who does next to nothing does not get reprimanded in any way AND in all likelihood, get better compensation.

-Hold associates accountable.

-Listen to your associates rather than just adding them to the list of dissenters.

-Staff your stores better.

-Better training is needed.

-When you treat your associates as expendable, don't expect great attitudes

-find other ways to cut costs than to cut staff and discounts.

-Removing the bulk of full-time employees in favor of part-timers (saving money on benefits) is a recipe for disaster (complacent, apathetic employees)