Lowe's - Great working experience, growth potential not great on inside at current locations. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's

"Great working experience, growth potential not great on inside at current locations."

Former Employee - Team Member in Findlay, OH
Former Employee - Team Member in Findlay, OH

I worked at Lowe's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

4 day work weeks, good pay and bonus potential for the work and hours, optional overtime was offered, allowed to come in to work and do your job without a manager breathing down your neck and treated most employees fairly.

Cons

Limited inside growth especially at your location, the company does not move people up or out of the positions where you can grow into management roles. They like to do a lot of hiring from the outside or other centers, when very qualified candidates are right there. To many self made positions and front office people that are not necessarily needed.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to those that are in your building, there is a lot of potential in front of you. Make sure to hold the coaches responsible for the team members and if they are not doing their job don't be afraid to make an example out of the popular people or management. Keep quiet about things that are coming or could happen, don't say if you work hard we will have a holiday off , just plan and work accordingly and if it is feasible then announce it. Promises you cant keep only hurt moral and the productivity of the business.

Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's

1. "Enjoyed coworkers, not so much the management."

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Russellville, AR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Russellville, AR

I worked at Lowe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with tools, so it was sort of a dream job to be around them all the time and know what's coming out.

Cons

The management at my location wasn't the best. After I moved to a new job they restructured, so I imagine it's a lot better now.

Advice to Management

Don't neglect hardware coverage!

2. "Corporate micromanages"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Burton, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Burton, MI

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are, in general, relaxed, helpful and good with customers. Store management is easy to get along with and competent.

Cons

Too many corporate policies and rules stifle creativity, enthusiasm and store improvement. Plus, many things that should be left up to the individual stores (with oversite) are decided at the corporate level with unwelcome results.

Advice to Management

Give more leeway to the stores and floor employees to respond to the environment and to innovate retail practices. All your metrics (short-term thinking) pale in comparison to the power of motivated and savvy employees.