Lowe's - former manager | Glassdoor

"former manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Lowe's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lowe's does care about their associate, they have good benifits and pay a good wage. There is plenty of room to advance if you are willing to work hard to get there.Don't be a complainner and stay on top of trianning. And always treat everyone as a freind cause you never know who will be your boss tomarrow.

Cons

Lowe's hires manager to fire them. They need someone to blame for the short coming in the store. It really doesn't matter what the truth is. Lowe's is all about perception, if some feels you have wronged them then you must of weather you did or not.They give way to much power to the HR's and LP's if your not in good with them, they will find away to fire you. I don't belive this is a company goal but they don't keep track of the store well enough. Don't ever complain to anyone about the things that are going on unless your asked because you will paint a traget on your back, and they will find a way to fire you. If you are just an associate no worries all you need to do to keep your job is when you think your going to be in trouble just wright up a complaint about your boss, it doesn't have to be true, and give to the HR they will make sure nothing happens to you and you'll never be held accountable for anything. Lowe's doesn't give much support to the managers as you can probeley tell. my advice is to stay hourly never go salary you'll make just as much money as a dept manager with less worries and less hours.

Advice to Management

When ASM are being fired there should be a full investigation not a one sided one. There are always 3 sides to every storey He said She said and the truth. Remove HR's from the store they are instigaters of trouble. I assume its to keep their jobs exciteing. I haven't meet one yet thats really there for the store.The focus should be to retian good poeple with proper knowledge.

Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's

1. "working for benefits"

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

a good group of associates to work with

Cons

unreasonable schedule... everyone should have a least one regular day off for appointments etc...

Advice to Management

Try team -building rather than threats

2. "typical retail mentailty"

Current Employee - PSA
    Current Employee - PSA

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good place to see why retail is all about. Totally different state of mind from any other skilled trade job I have ever had.

Cons

Greed on the part of upper management. That is, they make it harder and harder for bonuses by hourly workers. BAD planning and exacution of keeping good employees and a great fear of letting the the non-productive ones go. I have seen this time after time. The employees are tasked with trying the make the the managements poor plans work and take the blame when they don't work out.

Advice to Management

The company is way to top heavy. To many chiefs and for sure not enough indians. To many constant changes, reseting the same items over and over again in the same year. Even the coustomers "hate" the way they can't find things from one day to the next. Remember" keep it simple" it costs alot less to mantain rather then change.