Lowe's - Best place to work in new retail environment. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's

"Best place to work in new retail environment."

Current Employee - Flooring Department Manager in Little Elm, TX
Current Employee - Flooring Department Manager in Little Elm, TX

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lowe's gives me lots of freedom to get my job done. We have great tools for training ourselves and our associates. Customer Service is paramount and you can't go wrong doing what's best for the customer. Bonuses are based on a "Team" concept. Everyone in the store bonuses or no one does.

Cons

Lowe's cut spiffs and commissions in 2012. The incentive for Sales Specialists to excell is gone. Lowe's does not move people around between stores in a district or market as a normal practice. This causes each store to be it's own world and not really an overall team.

Advice to Management

Bring back commissions for Sales Specialist only. Move up the pace of implementation for the new computer systems and interfaces. Stress the good Lowe's differences in our ads. Buy more merican made products and source most of the house brand products from american manufacturers.

Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's

1. "Lowes co is ok to work for"

Current Employee - Specialist in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Specialist in Flint, MI

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good pay,good benifits 401 k

Cons

work weekends and nights always

Advice to Management

Train emplyees better

2. "Not bad to start, but keep looking for something better."

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Pittsburg, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Pittsburg, CA

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Lowe's carry's the best brands. When you tell a customer you like this brand of whatever, you probably mean it.
    -Your coworkers will become new great friends.
    -Despite all the hassle that goes along with customer service, you can probably enjoy your shift.

Cons

-Pay, lower than industry average. The Home Depot across the street routinely starts new hires in the $13-$18 range.
    -Schedule, chances are you wont get many hours, especially if you work customer service (cashier, loader). And the hours you do get wont be very convenient. Plenty of closing shifts then they ask you to open the store the next morning.
    -They refuse to accommodate your school or personal schedule. I don't know if its a company rule, but they do not work with college student schedules.
    -If your aspiration is to become Lowe's management, prepare to spend many years there before moving up the ladder.

Advice to Management

-Treat your hourly employees like you treat other management. Ask if we have ideas on how to improve certain things about the store, we interact with all the customers so chances are we know what people are asking about and how the store can help.
    -Take less cues from North Carolina. Corporate may say that every store needs to be selling salt (for de-icing walkways) in November, but not every store is in an area with ice. That's valuable space being wasted on the shelf.